View Full Version : Final Fantasy

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Gamp
November 19th, 2000, 08:45 AM
I have always enjoyed the fantasy genre. I used to read Piers Anthony, and Tolkien and all the good stuff back in the day, but...
I think my first experience with fantasy to really suck me in for good, was the video game Final Fantasy, for the original nintendo. Since FF1, I have always remained interested in the genre, whether it was other console rpg's (FF or otherwise) or fantasy books. And my interest has grown ever since. Now i look forward to any good new rpg game, and i wait like a rabbid lion for the next FF instalment, and i generaly try to find a new and exciting fantasy novel or series whenever i finish whatever i am currently on. Are most you people on here just interested in fantasy books, or like me, more the genre in general?
FF9 came out just the other day out here, and i was going to go buy it today but everywhere that might have it is closed or hasn't gotten it yet so i'll have to wait till monday or tuesday! Ugh.. Wouldn't a Final Fantasy book be great? I can't wait for the movie next year, its gonna rock! Wouldn't a Wheel of Time game of Final Fantasy caliber quality be incredible too? Any thoughts? Also, any recomendations for excellent fantasy movies?
I prefer fantasy over sci-fi but any truly great sci-fi movies would be interesting to me as well...

mistressoftheforce
March 11th, 2001, 04:43 PM
I've heard some things about a Final Fantasy movie, and recently when I went to the theatre's I saw a Final Fantasy cutout. Might be worth checking out when it arrives
mistressoftheforce
http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif
P.S I have played Final Fantasy 7 + 8 and loved them can't wait till 9 comes out in Oz.

Metosblat
April 19th, 2001, 08:33 PM
Final Fantasy: The spirits within should be good. My personal favourite was FF7.

FitzChivalry
April 19th, 2001, 11:17 PM
My favorite would be FF7 or FF5.
FF5 definetly had the best music and was probably the biggest games but FF7 had the coolest character, Tifa, Red XIII, Vincent and of course Cloud Strife that was voted as the 2nd best computer games character ever on the internet.

Metosblat
April 23rd, 2001, 03:27 PM
Who got number 1?
I just found the whole materia system and the way they semi-scientifically explained it alot better than any other RPG game. With all the other systems they just tell you "it's magic, it exists....yeah, just accept it".
The whole intermingling life-stream thing was cool too.

Otik2
April 27th, 2001, 01:19 PM
My favorites are VI and IV, or III and II in the USA. Their only problem is that they can't be nearly as detailed as books can be, in both story and character development.

Impact24
April 29th, 2001, 11:40 PM
We're pretty much in the same boat gamp. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif . I'm also a gamer and a bookworm in one. Console RPGs and Fantasy novels go together like bread and butter. My personal favourites are Final Fantasy 3 (6 in Japan) and Chrono Trigger. I'm currently playing FF9.

The great thing about Console RPGs is that it has the visual and audio aspect of movies. Also, because it's typically longer than movies, it also adds the good story plots and twists often found in fantasy novels. In effect, it's like you're experiencing both movies and books in one whole interactive experience.

I'm also hoping that in the future, Console RPG plots and stories will evolve and achieve the detail and quality found in works such as Martin. That would be something wouldn't it?

saintjon
February 27th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Yeah it was. Check out Suikoden 2. Sweet game with a cool epic war story to it.
I love the Final Fantasy series. Here's my breakdown: 1 gets props for starting it all, 2 (or 4) had the best character concepts, 5 had the best character development system, 3(or 6) had the best story. 7 was solid all around and I loved the story between Cloud and Sephiroth and the character designs were the best. I never got to far into 8. I felt the junction system was too complicated and really made no sense (how DID they explain the sucking magic from monsters thing?). 9 was the greatest joy though, combining the best of the old with the best of the new. I wished that they would make a game with the old setting but with the new graphics and my prayers were answered.
Crono Trigger rocked. The dual- and triple-techs were one of the best ideas they've ever had. I've also enjoyed the few Breath of Fire games I've seen and you can't forget Dragon Warrior, those games were the best back in the day.

Alucard
February 27th, 2002, 06:11 PM
Of the final fantasies, my two favorites are six and the oh-so-underrated final fantasy tactics. six had my favorite characters, plot, and IMO has the best score written for a video game to date (check out the orchestral soundtrack grand finale for it an you'll see what I mean). And FF tactics was simply brilliant. I think it overshadowed all the other releases in the series for the psx (and I'm a big fan of 7 and 9, so thats saying a lot), and is equally as good as six. If you haven't played it yet, I reccomend you do (it's just been released under the psx greatest hits thing, so it can be found for 20 bucks). As for chrono trigger, I think it's arguably the best rpg to date. Chrono cross was fantastic too. And another little snes gem is secret of mana. The story is terrible (as with most rpg's), but the fighting is so enjoyable it doesn't matter.

saintjon
February 28th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Man, true that. Tactics was the sweetness of sweet, but I didn't mention because it was in a different vein from the more traditional FF games. We should get another thread going for strategy and tactic games, probably because those are some of my favourites. Ogre Battle anyone? How about Romance of the Three Kingdoms?