PDA

View Full Version : Alien Nation

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

retrojetter
January 19th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Can anyone remember a film called Alien Nation starring James Caan?
I was reminded of it when reading the Enemy Mine thread, I think they were released around the same time. I remember both made me cry. I was just a kid at the time. Also can anyone remember a film that was around at the same time as The Goonies called Monster Squad. I've mentioned it to loads of people but noone else seems to have heard of it.

Rob B
January 19th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Alien Nation was pretty good, my wife LOVED the TV show. However, the film I loved which came out around the same time was They Live.

Monster Squad was cheesy, but fun. I remember the main character wore a T-shirt that said: "Stephen King Rules!" I always wanted to find that shirt, but now I'm glad I didnt'

-Asher-
January 19th, 2006, 08:08 PM
goto the Internet Movie Database it will solve ALL you movie/tv questions. It lists when it was made, and everyperson involved with the production. Great resource! :cool:

http://www.imdb.com/

ndhaon91
January 19th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Also can anyone remember a film that was around at the same time as The Goonies called Monster Squad. I've mentioned it to loads of people but noone else seems to have heard of it.

"Wolfman's got nards!"

retrojetter
January 20th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Omigod! Is it uncool to like Stephen King now? If so I am a complete geek. I would love to get my hands on that t-shirt.

Thanks for the tip Asher but I already IMDB'd it. I was just wondering if anyone else could remember it.

Can anyone remember the song that was played over the montage bit?
The lyrics went.. 'Rock until you drop. Rock until you drop. Dance until your heart stops. Woh Woh'
Profound eh?

'Where the hell am I supposed to find silver bullets? K-Mart?'

Ouroboros
January 20th, 2006, 08:00 AM
'Alien Nation' with James Caan is a solid SF movie. Successful enough that it spawned a TV series with some mick jagger lookalike replacing Caan for a season before it was cancelled. This in turn resulted in the season two opener being adapted into a comic book (which I've never seen anywhere ever), and eventually there were a number of TV movies which are still airing on the Sci-fi channel.

ArthurFrayn
January 20th, 2006, 12:08 PM
-from the imdb to the discussion:

Alien Nation is created by Rockne O'Bannon, the creator of the TV shows Seaquest(not a fan) and Farscape (big fan).Farscape is probably his most successful outing to date.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0639328/

The "Mick Jagger look alike" is Gary Graham who puts in a lot of time in SF genre TV shows, but you can see him in just about anything.I last saw him as Vulcan Ambassador Soval on Star Trek Enterpise(not a fan). I like Gary Graham-he's a fine character actor. I liked him in Stuart Gordon's Robot Jox,which is kind of a cool live action Transformers type of thing.The screenplay was written by Joe Haldeman.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0334048/

As far as IMO about Alien Nation? I remember it fine. Both movie and TV show have been on the SciFi Channel in recent years.They will probably be rebroadcast again soon.And there were TV movies as pointed out above.The original movie is okay -it's pleasantly watchable.The TV show is okay- it's pleasantly watchable.I haven't seen the TV movies.

Ouroboros
January 20th, 2006, 03:11 PM
I think there were four TV movies. They seem to have been made on more or less the same budget as the TV show ... low on the kind of special effects you'd expect in SF, but plenty of cop-show car chases and firefights.

One invovled the slavers dispatching an agent to earth to scout for the possible retrieval of the 'cargo' (and humanity to boot). Other movies dealt with a Newcomer religious cult, and a genetically-mutated 'untouchable' caste of Newcomers.

Drop of love
January 28th, 2006, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE=retrojetter]Omigod! Is it uncool to like Stephen King now? If so I am a complete geek. I would love to get my hands on that t-shirt.

Steven King considerd geeky now, but luckly it's now considerd cool to be a geek exspecialy in a forum like this.

ArthurFrayn
February 18th, 2006, 11:29 AM
The TV show is now out on DVD:

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/screen/sfw2727.html