PDA

View Full Version : Suikoden

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

saintjon
March 4th, 2002, 03:32 AM
Any of you guys ever try one of these games? Far as I know there's two parts and they're both on PS1. They're made by Konami and I think they're amazing. Especially the second one. They're the only RPG's I've seen that really came close the mood and setting of my favourite epic fantasy novels. I mean, Final Fantasy's sweet, but how often do they let you command a large scale battle?
My big problem when I first saw the game was the vast array of characters. In both games you get over a hundred characters and I think about seventy or so can be placed in your party (you can only have 6 at a given time). When I had time to actually sit and play part 2 though, I realized that basically with that many characters no matter what you're tastes are there will probably be a few dozen you like.
Anyhoo, on top of all it's other strengths I thought the story was tremendously well-done. Well, it was also good to play a solid RPG that wasn't by Squaresoft.

LucaBlight
January 28th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Yes i know im nearly six years late with a reply but hey i just signed up so :p

I feel i have to reply because i agree very strongly with saintjon. Amidst all these very flashy new games with super graphics and an army of voice actors, the storyline (in my opinion the important bit) rarely hold much water.

The first two suikoden games (particularly suikoden2) have superb storylines with both detailed background information and suprising twists in the plot. Anyone who reads and enjoys fantasy should seriously consider trying to find these games as in my opinion they are still unrivalled to this day!

Corporal Blues
January 28th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I've played III and IV on PS2, and their might even be a V, but I could be wrong. III was really great. Possibly the hardest game I've ever beaten. IV was a little but on the lame side. I just didn't like it as much as III. Basically the story of IV was too slow going and I couldn't get into it. That and the random encounters happened annoyingly too often.

If you want to play a really sweet RPG for PS2 then I reccomend you play Suikoden III.

Muess
February 14th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I'm a bit fan of the series, I even played number 1 through twice so I could get all the toons I missed the first time! :)

Icewind
April 6th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Suikoden 1 is easily the best RPG ever

Heresy
August 13th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I have games 1,3 and 4, but the only game I really liked playing was 1 which I played (and finished!). I've tried playing 4, (and I played midway number 3), but never finished either of them.

I loved number one though. I enjoyed collecting people for my party and leveling my favourite ones up. ^_^v

Bengoshi-San
August 13th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Wow, this is taking things back!

Yep, loved them all.

Suikoden 1 = best rpg on earth.

Also, Konami Computer Entertainment Japan, the company that made them back in the days.. also made another RPG.. a strategy RPG called Vandal Hearts which I still love to this day.

And I'm not sure if you guys already know.. but trying to find a new or used copy of the original PS1 Suikoden fetches upwards of $200 today.

I wish I still had kept mine instead of selling it on ebay like 8 years ago. DOH!

James Carmack
August 15th, 2008, 01:12 AM
I've played I and II, enjoying both immensely, although I thought the strategic battle system in II was a bit busted because you couldn't choose your commanders to send out (often leaving you with units ill-suited for the battle at hand).

I have III but I haven't played it yet as I didn't get around to getting a PS2 until last month. I'll comment on it when I get around to playing it. ^_^;

I've heard IV was pretty weak and while V was better, it still doesn't quite measure up. Maybe they'll recapture the winning formula come VI, if it's ever made.

I also have the two SuikoGaiden games, which are set in the same era as Suikoden II. Also haven't gotten around to playing them, so any comments will have to come another day.

saintjon
August 15th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Wow, this is taking things back!

Yep, loved them all.

Suikoden 1 = best rpg on earth.

Also, Konami Computer Entertainment Japan, the company that made them back in the days.. also made another RPG.. a strategy RPG called Vandal Hearts which I still love to this day.

And I'm not sure if you guys already know.. but trying to find a new or used copy of the original PS1 Suikoden fetches upwards of $200 today.

I wish I still had kept mine instead of selling it on ebay like 8 years ago. DOH!

OMG I gotta go dig that thing out of storage!!!