PDA

View Full Version : How cool is Spaced?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

retrojetter
January 20th, 2006, 07:57 AM
This has to be my all time favourite TV comedy. I know its not strictly SF but there are so many references to SF culture in there it just has to be allowed.
I remember watching the Resident Evil episode during the time when I was playing Resident Evil 2. It was spot on. Right down to the zombies clothes.
That ep featured an early appearance by Little Britain's David Walliams.

Every character is brilliant! The Soundtrack is perfect, the acting is second to none and the writing is unsurpassable.

Was anyone else here just a teensy weensy bit disappointed in Shaun of the Dead? I do like the movie, its just.. well I guess I was expecting the same quantity and calibre of jokes as Spaced and it just didn't quite manage it for me.

Tarn
January 20th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Spaced is, for me, by far the best comedy/sitcom I've ever seen. I absolutely love it to pieces.

Shaun of the Dead disappointed me when I first saw it at the cinema, but every subsequent viewing on DVD I've loved it more and more. I think the reason it initially disappointed me was that I was expecting Spaced with some zombies in it. Whereas it's actually primarily a zombie film, which happens to have some Spaced-style comedy. If you expect a comedy, you're likely to be a bit disappointed - if you expect a zombie film with some laughs, it works brilliantly. :)

retrojetter
January 20th, 2006, 09:36 AM
You know. I think you're right. My husband has watched it a few times since and has said that it improves each time. I was expecting a feature length Spaced episode. I think one of the biggest bug bears for me was Nick Frost's character. I wanted him to be Mike again. I just couldn't get around the idea of him being a git.
What are your favourite Spaced moments? One of mine was the Boss Hogg phone call. I spend most of my time trying to convince my husband to end his phone calls to me by saying "I love you Daisy Duke" just so I can say "That was.. er.. Boss Hogg." to my work colleagues.

Wulfa_Jones
January 25th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Pegg and Wright said that the last thing they wanted to do was make a "feature length episode of Spaced". I to was slightly disapointed, I expected a lot more references to zombie films etc. They didn't want to make a comedy horror, but a horror with some comedy elements.

Overall I think Shaun was a great film. Repeat viewing does improve my enjoyment of the film as there are things you miss the first time around.

I to am a great fan of Spaced. Part of me would love another series, while another part dreads it. There has been talk of a 3rd season, but Simon Pegg said it wouldn't take place straight after the last series and the characters would have moved on with their lives. Who knows, maybe the last new bit of Spaced we'll see was the brief clip at the end of the DVD documentary.

To my favourite scenes... one that stands out is the Scooby Doo scene

Hobbit
January 25th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Agree. I thought the extra '10 year's later' Sketch on the DVD was very funny.

But loved the Robot wars and the paintballing episodes.

Hobbit

retrojetter
January 26th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Aah yes the scooby doo scene. Another one of my favourites. I also love the episode where Tim and Daisy go for a night out, meet up with Duane Bensey and get mugged by that Brighton Rock-esque gang who take their oregano. Its fun to look at the posters in the pub where Daisy does the Elvis impersonation just to see what bands were playing there then. I think I recall seeing Idlewild, Embrace and Coldplay on some of the posters!

"drink til we a)fall over b)puke c)fall over and puke"

The bit in Shaun where they're plotting how to rescue shaun's mum reminds me of this ep.

fluffy bunny
February 21st, 2006, 05:35 PM
Agree. I thought the extra '10 year's later' Sketch on the DVD was very funny.
Was that on the third disc? :mad: Knew I should have waited rather than just buying the series on 2 individual discs as they were released.

But loved the Robot wars and the paintballing episodes.

Hobbit

Good pics. Also liked the Season 2 episode with the origano - the matrix/saving private ryan bits were excellent.

The family of the 21st century is made up of friends not relatives

Hobbit
February 21st, 2006, 06:10 PM
Was that on the third disc? Yes. It's only about 5 minutes long though, if I remember right. I'm sure if you look around on the Internet it'll be about.....

Hobbit

Mithfânion
July 16th, 2006, 09:45 AM
I'm going to buy this series ths month along with "Life on Mars". Two UK shows that receive a tremendous amount of positive praise.