PDA

View Full Version : What are your goals for 2006?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

juzzza
January 24th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Well, 2004 for me, was all about Music. That news is not relevant here so I will focus on writing.

I had one print success, and the magazine ships this month (I think).

I have two other stories with print mags, waiting for an answer. Both magazines are my Moby Dicks... I have been chasing them for years and have scars from our last encounters.

More importantly for me, I spent two or three months really planning my novel. Using an adapted version of the Snowflake process, I got to know my characters really well and now understand their motivations, plots within my novel and their epiphanies. I have also done a high level chapter outline and know broadly where I am going but the Snowflake has changed many times and I think it will continue to be a working document rather than a rigid plan, like ALL good plans. I have also written two new chapters for the novel, which are not even mentioned in the Snowflake and mean I have to think about the implications further on, as they are HUGE. LOL, I love writing.

My goals are, to write my thesis so I am a MASTER in something... Cool. And complete my novel mentioned above, and get it off to a hot contact at Penguin, who has agreed to read it without an agent, and ahead of the pile (that is priceless and was a key success for 2004).

I have no aspirations for short stories at all and will probably not write anything new, although I will try and finish/polish some of the promising ones I have created of late. This year is year of the novel in the Thorne household.

On a side note and a goal I have no real control over, it is more a desire, I would like to see Holbrook and Abby get those deals they are so close to nailing. I would also like to see Gemquest do really well upon release in Feb, having read the first already I am sure this will be a winner.

All the best everyone for 2005.

Best laid plans...

I am just getting to the end of that thesis I mentioned, and will be a Master of Marketing (Msc) in July, if all goes to plan.

I have done no extra work on the novel, let alone finish it... it is at the same stage as it was when I posted my goals for 2005!

I did get four short stories published though, one is still to arrive through my letterbox and I have written two new shorts... one is with a publication as we speak.

My Moby Dicks are still ellusive, although I have a new spear on the boat in the form of one of the stories I mention above... just needs an edit and then I will sail out alone once more, to find the beast.

And I don't think Abby or Holbrook have had their break, although I know they are a lot closer.

So, how did you do against your goals for 2005 and what are your objectives for 2006?

Next couple of months for me, is finishing the thesis. Then I will take a look at my novel and see if I can burn through it. I also have a completed novel I want to edit and re-write and get out there to agents whilst I toil away at the other one.

I also fancy writing a screenplay for a movie, I've been studying the theory and techniques and have my eyes on converting one of my published short stories... anyone know any directors?

Banger
January 24th, 2006, 09:53 AM
A year late in response, but:

My goal for 2004 was to write 100 short stories and get 12 published. A lofty goal I know. I only wrote 75-80 short stories and was published a mere 8 times (got my final one Dec 31st).

All I gotta say is HOLY CRAP! I've been writing short stories for one and a half years now and I've written maybe ten stories. I don't think I could do 75-80 stories if I stopped work and school and wrote twenty-four hours a day! That is some prolificacy!

My goals for 2006 are to get A's in all of my classes, to figure out my Ph.D. focus (currently debating between twentieth century British and twentieth century American literature), to take the GRE Literature exam, to pick the Ph.D. programs to which I'll apply, to apply to said programs, to write at least one review a month for SFF World, to complete at least ten short stories for publication, and to keep all of my stories out there until I get a bite.

tracyt1800
January 24th, 2006, 10:39 AM
In 2005 I wanted to get at least one short story published and put some serious work into my novel. I mananaged to complete one short story but didn't get it sent off as I'm still wrestling with the opening scene. So, I guess it's not complete.

But I did make a lot of notes for several novels and notes for 3 more short stories.

For 2006 my goals are:
1) get that original short story finished and off to a magazine;
2) write 3 more short stories (the ones I have notes for) and send them off for publishing; and
3) firm up an outline for one of the novels and begin working on it.

OK ... now my goals are in writing. Now I have to follow up on them.

Holbrook
January 24th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Well, I thought I would do a sort of copy of the previous one ;)

Goal... survive and see 2006!

Well I managed that!!

In fact my health has been better this last year, especially the last 6 months. Change of diet and lifestyle has helped. Also was given the all clear over some long standing concerns about my heart, still suffer with the legs,( this is something I am stuck with for the rest of my life) but am not swallowing so many pain killers and am managing a lot better.

College course and major alternations in the house are done. Though the kitchen and the garden needs some work, it is not major. Life is pretty good at present.

Youngest daughter did herself proud in her GCSEs and is now half way through her 1st year of lower 6th form. She has her eye on doing a degree in History. She had a superb 2005, the highlight was backpacking with a group of 7 other Young Guide leaders round 5 European countries last summer.

Eldest has become a wonderful, strong, caring young woman of 21 years and at present is doing her final essays and dissertation for an English studies degree.

Still married to the same man ;)

As to writing;

Did little collab work, sadly, but LRI is being edited by three of the writers, who have a stronger grasp both of the art of editing and the story than I have

http://www.equilibriumbooks.com/seventhreads.htm

Seven Threads is now out of print, HE and I are in the process of deciding what to do next with the stories.

Spent a good few months editing my two novels and getting them under the noses of agents and publishers. Will these so close deals become reality; "shrugs shoulders" don't know. Juzzza has more faith than I. If it happens I will deal with it and take it one day at a time.

The Hat Man failed totally, and now I have filed it away. It was a great story to write and I learned a lot about writing doing it, but it is part of the past now.

Llafn Meistr came so close to being accepted, but in the end failed. I have no hard feelings about it, par for the course. I am at the moment editing this again, in fact putting the story back to my original vision, using the skills I have learned over the last few years to edit and smooth the flow out. I know it will clock out at over 250,000 words, but what the h*ll. This edit is for me. The story might get filed away after, but I feel I would have done what I set out to do with it. For so long I tried to make the story into something it wasn’t, to make it, in my mind, “attractive” to an agent/editor. Time to return to the dream with this one.

As to other writing events

I had a short story accepted by Liam Sharp for MamTor Publishing’s Event Horizon. It will be published in issue 3 of EH in May, and is called “Death won’t be Cheated” I was also offered a job on the staff of this fine publication. And I am proud to be connected with it and the wonderfully talented people that make up the rest of the Staff.

Another short story was accepted by another new mag, but I have yet to hear if this will be going ahead.

I do want to write a new novel, one that has been bubbling for 12 months in rough chapters.

Well, I spent the first two thirds of the year writing this, the last third editing it. I had a lot of help on the way from HE, Kater, Rocket Sheep, and Dawnstorm to name but a few. Especially Dawnstorm, whose help with the final edit was superb! This novel, Oracle, was sent out at the beginning of January to an agent. No word yet, they have had it 3 weeks, so I am expecting the first rejection any time lol….

As for the coming year;

I am going to Eastercon in April and hoping to see some forum friends there and others elsewhere in the summer.

Reading submissions for EH and helping out there as best I can.

Might get going on another novel; most likely write a few short stories. But I feel a need a quiet time, least for the next month or so, well till the first rejection for Oracle comes in lol…

For others I hope 2006 brings you your dreams…

Evil Agent
January 24th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Goals for 2006:

1. Continue to gain experience volunteering at a high school, with teens.
2. Get accepted to the PDP Teacher Training program, to become a teacher
3. FINISH my novella/novel which has been 90% complete for half a year!
4. Continue to do regular yoga, and buy fresh fruit and veggies at least once a week

(goal #4 is actually my new year's resolution, same from last year but I gave up midway through 2005).

JRMurdock
January 24th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Last year I set a lofty goal, but veered off target. I did, however, write 4 short stories over 10000 words, and 30 short stories. I also wrote 15000-20000 in the start of 4 different books before finally settling down and writing one book at 60000 words and got 40000 into a second book (which I'm now at 65000 words and trying to finish at around 90000 words).

For this year, I will finish the second novel, I also plan on writing 3 more all under 100000 words.

I also intend to begin a podcast.

I also intend to write many more short stories and start submitting them again. I haven't sent off a short story in nearly 4 months. I need to feel that thrill of publication again to get me pumped when I start sending out these novels. :)

Oh, as for the 'Holy Crap', keep in mind that 90% of what I wrote didn't see publication for a reason. It was a LOT of practice and much of it would be better mulch than published stories. ;)

Hey Hol! Glad you're getting better. I worry. You've had a hulluva a couple years. I think 2006 you're due to strike gold.

Rob B
January 24th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Writing Goals:
1) Complete NaNoWriMO project started in 2005.
I've just about hit the 50K word mark, but the story has really taken hold of me. I don't want these characters to be left hanging, and I knew from the beginning this story would easily surpass the 50K mark. I hope to finish the first draft of this novel this year.

2) Submit at least two short stories
I've got two somewhat finished, so I'd like to polish them off and submit. In addition, I would like to start and finish a few more, at least two, hopefully 5.

3. Start getting paid for my writing
I’ve got some ideas of submitting nonfiction pieces to a couple of markets, possibly non-SF related. I’ve also got to first get a better handle on those markets

4. Finish a novel I started a couple of years ago

I’d been working on it for a couple of years, but dropped at NaNoWriMo in 2005. The story, in one form or another, has been brewing for a very long time and I want to finish at least one novel in that world this year.

MrBF1V3
January 25th, 2006, 02:04 AM
Is it 2006 already? Wow. I didn't think I'd live this long.

I want to make at least three new friends this year.

I want to learn something new every day.

I want to finish my paper and get my certification (As a church facility manager.) I've started editing--the first draft was lingusitically challenged. It's a completely different kind of writing.

I want to get a decent raise, one way or the other. (Probably the other, which means I'll have to move. Bummer.)

When the fire marshall inspects my building, I want him to be unable to find anything wrong.

As for writing, I have nothing as good as maus, but then, he's a real writer, I'm a dabbler.

I want to finish four all new stories, and have more than ten people read them, and like them.

I want to finish rewriting a novel I wrote some years ago, and fix all those awkward and silly mistakes.

I think that will keep me busy for a while.

B5

David Forbes
January 25th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Writing goals are to (a) sell my YA novel Foreverness, and (b) finish, or finish a good chunk of, book three, The Path of Ashes.

Too much upheaval in my personal life to go into here as far as goals are concerned, other than to continue to be a good dad to my son.

kater
January 25th, 2006, 09:10 AM
I want to finish something I've started writing, nothing more than that.