Rob B
January 24th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Discussion will open on February 1st!

Erfael
January 31st, 2006, 09:01 PM
Discussion is now open. Enjoy.

Rob B
February 1st, 2006, 11:20 AM
I am 560 pages in and I am really enjoying the book. The scale of the story the future Hamilton has mapped out compliment each other very well. I don't want to say too much more right now, though.

Has anybody made it through the 980+ page monster yet?

Erfael
February 1st, 2006, 11:49 AM
I powered through it in just over a week as I wanted to get through all the book club books in time to read Scott's new book when it came out on the 19th....still waiting on Scott's new book. That was something of a downer for me.

I really quite enjoyed this monster. Not too many books of this size can keep me interested all the way through. I have some detailed thoughts, but not enough time to put them down here now. I'll just say I'll be ordering Judas Unchained in HC when it comes out.

odo
February 1st, 2006, 11:50 AM
For me only 30 pages left :rolleyes: (I'm reading the paperback edition which is 1143 pages long).

Rob B
February 1st, 2006, 11:58 AM
I really quite enjoyed this monster. Not too many books of this size can keep me interested all the way through. I have some detailed thoughts, but not enough time to put them down here now. I'll just say I'll be ordering Judas Unchained in HC when it comes out.
I agree, as big as this thing is, the strength of the narrative pull is pretty consistent.

The only negative remark I can is that the publishers really, REALLY should have added a 'dramatis personae' or glossary of characters type of page, especially with upwards of a hundred pages between characters reappearing.

odo
February 1st, 2006, 12:02 PM
The only negative remark I can is that the publishers really, REALLY should have added a 'dramatis personae' or glossary of characters type of page, especially with upwards of a hundred pages between characters reappearing.

Humm, mine HAS one :confused:

Erfael
February 1st, 2006, 12:09 PM
I agree, as big as this thing is, the strength of the narrative pull is pretty consistent.

I can't remember names now, but there was one character, Mark?, who was in the "dead-end" job on the really corporate world who then moved to the world that was later invaded. His second appearance, after they moved to Randtown, I had NO IDEA who he was for most of the chapter. Completely didn't tie in to the character I had met previously. Ultimately I figured out who he was and where he fit in, but it's stuff like that that a glossary could have really helped (or just better refreshers in the text to bring us back up to date on who exactly we were talking about.)

Archren
February 1st, 2006, 12:14 PM
I read this back in October and absolutely loved it. It's pretty much everything I want in my science fiction. It's a huge story, huge cast of characters, but because I read it so quickly, I managed to keep everyone straight.

The only problem I had then was that I picked it up thinking it was a standalone book. So when I got to the end with "To be continued in Judas Unchained, I have to admit that I actually screamed. :o :D

But I've read the second book now, and I feel better. It kept up the high standards and wrapped everything up nicely.

I just love the fact that he created such a huge universe to play in, then proceeded to really have fun with it. All the Silfen worlds, all the different human colonies. He also handled the cultural homogenization that would come with insti-communications well, I thought.

BTW, the opening scene on Mars, all the way in the beginning, is now one of my favorite stand-alone scenes in all of SF. :D

Erfael
February 1st, 2006, 12:32 PM
BTW, the opening scene on Mars, all the way in the beginning, is now one of my favorite stand-alone scenes in all of SF. :D

Mine, too. One of my favorite things about how he opened this book is that any of the prologue and the first several chapters could read as really good short stories in and of themselves, completely stand-alone. As the novel goes on and the threads start coming together this breaks down a little bit, but I thought almost every character's intro was handled exceptionally.

I admit, there were some threads that I had no idea how they would tie into the whole (the murder mystery in the beginning), but they were all tied in in what I thought were good, believable ways. In addition, another thing I liked a lot is how many TYPES of stories he incorporated. I think this went a long way to keeping my interest. There was a murder mystery and a space exploration story and an BDO-type story and espionage story and a story about exploring the Silfen and several others. But they were all interesting and they changed often enough not to get tired.