PDA

View Full Version : What Does It Really Mean To B Happy?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

gibran
January 26th, 2006, 05:45 AM
hi all , i am a poetess and a teacher,just thinking abt what answers can i get,what is it that makes us happy,does writing ,or going through such pains as v go through to share our worlds with others,worth any gain when sooner or later it all has to end anyway?

JWREmmett
January 26th, 2006, 04:31 PM
“Art is a kind of innate drive that seizes a human being and makes him its instrument. To perform this difficult office it is sometimes necessary for him to sacrifice happiness and everything that makes life worth living for the ordinary human being.” - Carl Jung

JWREmmett
January 26th, 2006, 04:40 PM
By the way here's some great books on creativity and the creative process... http://www.books4selfhelp.com/creativity.htm

choppy
January 26th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Gibran,

I see two questions.
1) What is it about writing that makes us happy?
2) Is the art worth the sacrifice?

To answer the first question, I would say that there are many aspects about writing that I derive enjoyment from. These include:
- researching subjects that I know little about and thereby expanding my knowledge base and overall education
- organising my thoughts on a variety of topics
- studying human nature
- fantasizing about exotic locations, or deeds or feats I could never accomplish in real life (and in some cases wouldn't want to)
- solving problems
- facing my fears in a controlled situation
- studying myself
- entertaining and educating others

As to the second question, if it makes you happy, then absolutely it's worth it. Even if "sooner or later it all has to end" I try to take heart in that writing is all about both the inception, and more often, the propagation of ideas - non-physical things that certainly affect the physical world.

Expendable
January 26th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Some people enjoy writing.

Myself, I've got stories trapped inside my head and they want out. Happiness is that momentary lull between finishing a story and the next one starting.

gibran
January 27th, 2006, 05:05 AM
i get pleasure when m writing ,i get pleasure when i see the product of my soul,but never the happiness when i share it with the world, it seems that the ppl r like zombies when it comes to soul matters,do u think that happiness in writing should b limited to the pleasure of writing or looked for in the sharing of it?ofcourse i think happiness comes in sharing it,is it so?m real confused!

Rocket Sheep
January 27th, 2006, 05:16 AM
Happiness? Does it have meaning? Is it real or imagined or a naive dream? I have no idea but I think you're aiming too high. Seeking perfection is setting yourself up for failure.

You don't have to be happy. You just have to be.

gibran
January 27th, 2006, 05:24 AM
on my part,guess its just a naive dream,how can u just b when ur not looking for ur dreams even if they r naive enough,is it bad to b a perfectionist or to aim high?

Banger
January 27th, 2006, 01:39 PM
You're a teacher? What do you teach?

Dragon Child
January 27th, 2006, 02:51 PM
I completely agree with Rocket Sheep's post. I'm not even sure I know what it means to be happy.

Writing, or any other form of art can be torture. So why do we do it? Who knows. But for some people we need to. I've tried to toss it aside myslef, thinking I could be happier without the frustration and even emotional turmoil that comes with it. But then every time I read a book or see a great painting, I'd still feel the pain. I need to be an artist.

If I'm going to exist, then happy or not, I'm going to write.