PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Vs Real?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

gibran
February 1st, 2006, 01:19 AM
what should be done when during or after writing the "ideal" collides with the "real" and u hang somewhere inbetween as if in a vaccum?

Expendable
February 1st, 2006, 02:29 AM
A major edit.

Give example?

choppy
February 1st, 2006, 07:10 PM
I'm not sure I understand the question.

Are you asking about whether a writer of speculative fiction has to hold true to the rules of the "real" universe or if he or she should have the authority to warp the rules so as to fit the story?

Generally, I think that readers expect consistency. Just about all fiction is in some way rooted in our own reality. In speculative fiction, a writer may ask "what if" and then alter that reality in some way and then draw the consequences of that "what if" to its natural and logical conclusion. Problems generally occur when something extra is added in that isn't introduced as an element of speculation - radio waves travelling faster than the speed of light for example.

In the end, if the story is good enough, the reader will forgive just about anything.

gibran
February 2nd, 2006, 12:54 AM
its not abt the reader its abt the writer,e.g utopia is just the ideal and can never b real, ppl live happily everafter in fiction not in reality.now if i write sth which is ideal(relevant only in fiction) bt quite real to me(as perhaps "world gov" was to russell) and soon after writing i come across the realitistic facts which r totally opposite to what i v been believing in, and realize that the ideal can never exist in the real world;i am stuck with a new kind of truth!should i keep on idealising via writing or open my eyes to the real world?(hope i v simplified the question instead of complicating it!)

Darkin
February 2nd, 2006, 02:31 AM
Its a lesson that you should do research first. For example I was delighted to discover recently that livestock (cows, sheep etc) are susceptible to poisoning by Marijuana toxins....

But if its fiction, and its your Universe - why not think of a way to justify what you have happening - within the realms of your Universe?

Dawnstorm
February 2nd, 2006, 03:06 AM
I think I see what you mean.

When you're writing a story with a Utopian bent (i.e. based on some ideology you believe in), and then, while writing something happens that shakes your believe in that ideology, what do you do?

Clearly, you can't write on in the same "innocent" (as it now must seem) manner that you've written before.

If you have already written it, if it's ready, let it be. Don't touch it anymore, keep it as a testament to your history. If you read it, you may remember what it was like believing in this. There's value in that, if only because it helps you understand others who still believe.

If you're in the process of writing, the situation is more difficult. I would not go on writing in the same vain; it's impossible. The part I'd write, now, will be pale in comparison with what I've written before. I'd probably either start anew, or abandon the project.

If I'd start anew, the question is: will I attempt an optimistic, utopian (and ultimately ironic) story, a cheerful epitaph, like an irish wake; a more realistic one, exploring the problem, learning to see it more clearly; or a bitter dystopia, the other extreme, living out my disappointment. All three approaches are viable, and it depends on what kind of person you are, and what would suit you most in your present situation.

gibran
February 4th, 2006, 01:12 AM
dawnstorm, i really appreciate u here for solving my problem , yes, u have almost understood my problem ,now the thing is what if i just cant write without my ideology,what if i tell u that my pen moves only in response to the ideal world m carrying within me, should i stop writing?

tordot
February 4th, 2006, 01:44 AM
If your ideal world is within you, than write what you feel most passionate about and not worry about what’s going on in the real world…you are creating fiction after all, and a work of fiction is ultimately your playground that you can shape however you like.

gibran
February 5th, 2006, 02:21 AM
tordot,thanx, thats exactly what i v been trying to do but everytime i sit to write, the same real horrors take charge of my mind(misery, pain ,death,bloodshed,poverty,filth and ugliness) and i feel that what i am writing is aimless and worthless.i feel that my writing is just an escape and in escaping i am doing something wrong,tell me a way to free my mind of the realities in life coz i cant write anything else abt which i am not passionate enough.

Dawnstorm
February 5th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Perhaps an article about Poetry and the Holocaust (http://cghs.dade.k12.fl.us/ib_holocaust2001/Ghettoes/education_culture/poetry_of_the_holocaust.htm) may be helpful?

The article contains a few biographies of poets at the bottom, who witnessed terrible things and still went on writing poetry.