PDA

View Full Version : What's this short story?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Thurlor
February 2nd, 2006, 06:04 AM
Once again I can't rememebr the title or author of a short story I once read and was wondering if anyone here could help me.

Anyway, it about these humans that discover life in an asteroid/s that isn't intelligent to begin with, but can be when needed. Sorry that's all I remember.

Yobmod
February 2nd, 2006, 08:15 AM
Is it Swarm by Bruce Sterling?

A male and female scientist visit a hive of aliens called the Swarm. They get their food by tapping on the workers, who regurgitate fungus for them. When they start messing around with the chemical signals, the queen births an intelligent worker to deal with them.

DanielTC
February 25th, 2006, 02:41 AM
The only book I can think of is a science-fiction mystery by Asimov in "Asimov's Mysteries." Here's a little information about it:

Name of it is The Talking Stone.

(****spoiler warning****)
Larry Verdansky the repair technician who was assigned alone to Station Five was interested in siliconies, the silicon based life forms found in the asteroids which grew to maximum size of two inches by absorbing gamma rays from radioactive ores. Some siliconies talked and were telepathic. So when the space freighter Robert Q appeared at the station with a siliconey a foot in diameter he deduced that the freighter had found an incredibly rich source of uranium. The crew had read an old astronomy textbook to the siliconey. Verdansky contacts the authorities, but unfortunately before a patrol ship can reach it, the Robert Q was hit by a meteor, killing the three human crew members. When questioned, the dying siliconey says that the coordinates of the uranium asteroid is written on "the asteroid". Dr. Wendell Urth deduces that the siliconey meant that the coordinates were actually engraved on the the Robert Q, disguised as serial and registration numbers,since the siliconey thought the ship was an asteroid, i.e. a small body orbiting the sun, the definition it picked up from the ancient astronomy book.