PDA

View Full Version : Gaming cards/Debit Cards

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

silverfang
February 2nd, 2006, 10:43 AM
I bought yesterday a game for my son's B-Day...(World of Warcraft) and found him crying out of dismay claiming that he needed a Game card/pre-paid gaming card.

I heard about this before by a Star Wars Galaxy game,as i understand these are al on line games.
I am wondering if this is becoming a normal practice of the makers of these games.
I find it a rather mean approach and wonder again if this doesn't work against popularity of this type of gaming in the end.

Shehzad
February 4th, 2006, 11:50 PM
The whole concept of MMPORPGs involves paying a monthly fee for access to their servers-- with the notable exception of Guild Wars. It doesn't seem to have affected their popularity any.

I believe that caveat is rather prominantly displayed on the box.

Muess
February 7th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Hi Silverfang. This type of game is commonly referred to as a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG).

These games run in persistent online evolving worlds and the monthly charges are to cover the constant development of the game and maintenance/running costs of the servers (as well as a tidy profit I'm sure).

For most of these games the first month is included free with the game purchase but to keep some control on the players a credit card or game card is required to register an account. If you have a credit card you can use that to register your sons account and he will be able to play for a month. If you are not prepared to commit past a month (I think it's around US$15 a month after your trail is up) I would recommend returning the game as there's not a lot of point to playing these games for short periods.

Incidentally, how old is your son? I would hesitate to give this game to a young child without supervision due to the large amount of idiocy that tends to arise from online anonymity especially in these types of games.

silverfang
February 7th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Both Shehzad and Muess,thank you for the replies.

In the meantime I have bought him such a "game card' and is able to play for the next 3 months.
He,himself is 15 and rather involved in online gaming.
The group/clan he plays with are largely peers from his school,so they are known to me.
I agree about some shady characters who hang around these games and I am in the habit to check with him,who contacts who.
I am to understand from you both that it's comon practice to charge for most of these MMPORPG.