PDA

View Full Version : Help ID an OLD book.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

BBVstar
February 2nd, 2006, 04:45 PM
Ok, here is the challenge. I read a book as a pre-teen in the sixties! It was great and I would love to ID it.

The plot begins with scientists time travelling back 1 million years. They are there to study wildlife and make a discovery! A spaceship.

They build a transport grid around the ship to bring it forward to their time for study. A stampede causes them to intiate the transport process with 3 (?) scientists on board. They actually appear in their time, but the transport activates the ships auto return programming.

Unfortunatley they have two problems. Not enough time to get off and the ship is now 1 million years in it's own future!

The ship makes several stops and they see lots of cool stuff, just 1 million years too late.

Can you help me?

Response via e-mail is ok.

marcabagwell@aol.com

Lowlander
February 8th, 2006, 09:33 AM
The story reminds me of Time Last's Gift by PJ Farmer.
Although the book was written in 1972, not in the 60's.

Of course stories about scientists and time machines are very common in SF. For more details about Time Last's Gift you can always go to www.pjfarmer.com

raggedyman
February 13th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Hi BBVstar! The book your looking for is "Galactic Derelict" by Andre Norton. Its the second book in her Time Traders series. Like you I read it in the early 60's when I was about 11 or 12.

tdeanatoz@yahoo
February 14th, 2006, 05:34 AM
"Galactic Derelict" is available to read (or download) gratis as part of Norton's TIME TRADERS omnibus over at the Baen Free Library.