View Full Version : Console versus PC : Rpg's

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Alucard
August 10th, 2001, 08:02 PM
I have always been a big fan of console Rpg's, them being one of my favorite types of games to play next to fighting games. I finally got a decent pc about a year ago(one that could actually run new games and not crash), so I've been trying out a lot of the top rpg's. I've been disappointed to put it bluntly. I found a lot of pc games to feel rather stale(excluding fps and startegy games). But so many people swear by pc games, considering them far superior.

So I was just wondering; what do you prefer and why?

And suggestions as to why you are convinced of your choice are very welcome. I'm hoping that I might just find some pc games, particularly rpg's, that might change my mind.

FitzChivalry
August 11th, 2001, 01:06 AM
If your focus is RPGs then you are right, consoles are far superior to PC in that area, for one major reason: Square.
the Baldur's Game type of games are good too, but they don't come close to the Final Fantasy type of games.
But when it comes to strategy, adventure, fps, and internet based games like Everquest, the PC is superior, so it just depends what genre you prefer.

Cadfael
August 11th, 2001, 03:38 AM
Okay this is only my opinion, but the absolute best RPG games I have ever played are:

Baldur'd Gate
Icewind Dale
Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn

All the games are from the same developer... Black Isle and are all PC games.

The IWD game is very linier, and I think the developers did this intentionally. Another good RPG, but is very very old now, is Ultima 6.

[This message has been edited by dennizm (edited August 11, 2001).]

Alucard
August 11th, 2001, 06:35 AM
a game that many people have never played but is actually one one of the best rpg's around, is final fantasy tactics. I personally enjoyed this game more than any of the other psx installments. The battle system takes off of the grid style strategy games, but developed a very deep job/class system that was started in ff5. It's one of the most underrated games out there.

Another game to try that is not very linear(due to the fact that that there are forty playable characters) is chrono cross, the sequel to chrono trigger(one of my favorite rpg's of all time.) It had a great story, where your decisions effect what characters will be available to you and what paths you will take. ONe of squares finest.

As for the ff, I like ff generally(4,6,7,9 are all great), but I didn't like 8 very much at all. I guess it was because of all the hype surrounding the game, but I was left disapointed. I usually find squares side projects to be a little more enjoyable. Like xenogears, that was another great one.

If you own a dreamcast, do yourself a favor and buy skies of arcadia. The game is posotively enormous, and theres something about sailing the skies in your ship(which you develop the crew) that just can't be explained. It's a wonderful game.

FitzChivalry
August 11th, 2001, 09:31 AM
Well, for me a good plotline is more important than having a lot of choices and walking around doing sub quests.
Not to mention that the Square games are so big that even when the game is more linear you'd spend the same or bigger amount of hours playing the Square games than Baldur's Gate type games.
That said, there is one PC RPG that for me stands on the same level with Square crpgs, Betrayal at Krondor, an old game from 1994, that takes place in Midkemia, somewhere after the Riftwar.
The book Krondor:The Betrayal is based on the plotline of that game.

Cadfael
August 11th, 2001, 05:09 PM
FitzChivlary... this is the exeption that proves the rule in my opinion. I thought Krondor: The Betrayal game was cr*p (only my opinion), but the books are very good. The reverse is usually the case... take a look at the book based on Baldur's Gate... dire... very dire.

FitzChivalry
August 12th, 2001, 12:27 AM
What rule does it prove? i missed your point there...

[This message has been edited by FitzChivlary (edited August 12, 2001).]

NOEL
August 12th, 2001, 01:17 AM
i say the pc games are better because of games like baulder's gate I & II and pool of radiance . i also say pc games are better because of the online rpg (EQ , UO and if they fix the bugd AO ) also one new game anarchorox is wonderful and when NWN comes out trust me their will never be a doubt in anyones mind pc games are better with NWN you can make simulations of your favorite book or make up your own stories and have people play them online

SirRob
September 1st, 2001, 09:36 AM
I haven't played many RPG's but I have to say BG1 was brilliant. Although I haven't played Final Fantasy 8 much but i do think it is pretty poor, the exploration and story is O.k but the combat is a bit boring and definately doesn't rival Baldur's Gate.

fluffy bunny
January 18th, 2002, 06:28 PM
COnsoles vs pcs - generally they're both good at different areas of gaming.

PC: games needing a mouse, keyboard or the internet. (mainly first person shooters, strategy, online gaming)- rpgs like baldurs gate, planescape torment, ultima online, everquest.

Console- ability to crowd round a tv with ur mates. Show off with use of a very big telly (quite a lot of beat em ups, sport, driving games or arcade type games). - rpgs like final fantasy series

What's wrong with using both?