PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the rings computer games

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

durnhelm
March 14th, 2002, 05:31 AM
I've seen a review of Electronic Arts up and coming LOTR computer game. It looks very dark and atmospheric. I hope they release a war game on the computer game based on Middle Earth as well

milamber_reborn
May 5th, 2002, 03:58 AM
The graphics are pretty sweet. The Hobbit game is also coming out (on Gamecube I think).

There was an online Middle Earth game being made about three years ago. The producer company went bust or piked out, but got sued by the developer company so it got resurrected. That's what I read back then. I guess it got scrapped permanently. Someone will make them now with the popularity of the movies.

Shef
June 7th, 2002, 11:14 AM
There is also going to be a new LOTR for Xbox. I believe that it is going to be an action RPG that is going to play kind of like Zelda. This is based on the books and not the movies so they might put in Tom Bombadil and the other scenes left out in the movie. In an early screens it doesn't look like the hobbits will have perms either.:D

Qin
June 14th, 2002, 01:52 AM
[/Sarcasm on] Oh yeah, this is exactly what we need! Lord of the Rings: The Game! I can see the advertising now: "For those of you too lazy to get up and read the books, here's the watered down illiterate four-year-old equivalent! Yours for only $589.99 and YOUR IMMORTAL SOUL!" [/Sarcasm off]

someguy
August 23rd, 2002, 04:17 PM
Well, that previous post was certainly a thread killer....glad he aint around anymore.

On with the topic though!

My big concern about the game is your freedom of action. Is the computer going to 'channel' you down a pre-determined path?

Some other points:

How will they balance first-person action with the strategic level military issues?

How do the handle splitting up the fellowship. Hard to control three different groups I would imagine.

I love the books, but worry about the game....

kaku2003
September 25th, 2002, 08:28 PM
Hey, instead of waiting for some game to be released that you have to buy why not go to;

http://www.angband.com/towers

Its a scroll MUD (multi-user dimension),

So basically its an all text online game that you play based on the LOTR series. You can be an elf, dunlending, dwarf, eorling, hobbit..ect There are many different proffessions (Assassins, Wizards, Rangers, Warriors, Archers (still in player testing) and Theives) and soon the Enslaved Races will be released into the game (Orcs, Easterlings...ect) There is a complex Guild system, and it averages about 100 players at any given moment. There are newbie helpers if you really haven't a clue that will get you going in the right direction.

If you are really into LOTR, than this is a MUD for you. But I must say you have to be willing to devote some of your time to mastering this game. The Top level (25) has never been reached by any player, nor has lvl 24.

milamber_reborn
September 30th, 2002, 03:38 AM
Just read that someone has started making Middle-Earth Online, set during the events leading up to LOTR. They had better do it justice.

kaku2003
September 30th, 2002, 04:12 PM
By Fans for Fans. Its been up for 7-8y or so. They actually have things pretty well set, except for some playability discrepencies. But its a pretty good representation of Middle Earth. I suggest that you check out the website for more details.

Jack Burton
October 6th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Saw the trailer and a little behind the scenes info about the game on thwe LOTR:FOTR DVD...loks promising!