View Full Version : Half Life-my opinion

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

SirRob
December 27th, 2001, 11:12 PM
I bougth Half Life Generations about a month ago. I've heard a lot about it and how good it is but after playing through a large part of it I really don't think it can match a lot of other games nowadays and even if the AI is still extremely good and the gameplay gripping it just isn't fun enough and there's far too many puzzles. I should have spent a bit more on Arcanum or BG2 or a newer shooter.

Alucard
December 28th, 2001, 09:52 AM
I enjoyed the first half-life, but then again, I played back when it first came out. At the time, it was a graphical and technical marvel. But nowadays, its pretty dated. The multiplayer mod Counter Strike is still a blast though. You need to have a good internet connection to really enjoy it ( without online play it'll get old fast), but as long as you have the connection, it's definitely worth your money.

But as far as fps games are concerned, my all time favorite, still yet to be dethroned (even by Halo, which is great by the way) is unreal tournament. I still play it online all the time, and I've had the game for almost two years. Never has a fps game held my attention for that long (though, 007 for the n64 came close).

Elan Morin Tedronai
January 2nd, 2002, 04:02 AM
Alucard is right, buy if you have a cable, that won't worth so much your money http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/wink.gif, don't you think so Alucard?

Alucard
January 2nd, 2002, 07:58 AM
Definitely. With pc games, the best feature is almost always online play. It's the standout feature for pc games, giving them tons more replay value. In fact, if it werent for online play, I'd hardly ever play pc games. In general, I like console games much better. But online play is a lot of fun and strangely addicting. And for fps games, I'd say a good connection is almost a necessity.

SirRob
March 31st, 2002, 10:05 PM
The single player is crap.

I got to forget about freeman and i cant be bothered to play it anymore. I'm more likely to finish Red Faction than Half Life coz i actually fell bothered to.

Still, everyone should get half life because of counter-strike. If you don't know what counter-strike is u should stay in more. It absolutely rox and im completely addicted but ive taken a break from it as everquests taken its place for a short while until my free trial subscription runs out.

Alucard
April 1st, 2002, 09:13 AM
SirRob, if you like counter-strike, you should play the Tactical ops mod for unreal tournament. It's basically the same game (you die your out, use money to buy weapons at the beginning of round, etc.), but, IMO, better. I like the weapons more, the animations don't look so silly, the stages are smaller but more intricate (which I prefer) and it's easier to tell enemies from teamates. If you like cs, you should give tac ops a shot. In my case, I like it a lot better and haven't played counter strike in a long time because of it.

SirRob
April 11th, 2002, 10:10 AM
I cant be bothered patching UT which I reinstalled a while ago. But I might...
CS (sheesh blasphemy) is getting a bit boring.

Cygnus
May 5th, 2002, 11:25 AM
How nice to hear that you all like CS.. I've seen how additctive that can be. I'm pretty Half-Life-ed out though. My husband works for Gearbox, and they've been doing the add-ons and ports of Half-Life everything for a couple of years. I feel like Gordon Freeman is a member of the family!

Half-Life 2 has been years in the making, but Valve is a very detail-oriented and meticulous company, so there is no word when it will come out. That is something that I'm really looking forward to.

Alucard
May 5th, 2002, 02:45 PM
"How nice to hear that you all like CS.. I've seen how additctive that can be. I'm pretty Half-Life-ed out though. My husband works for Gearbox, and they've been doing the add-ons and ports of Half-Life everything for a couple of years. I feel like Gordon Freeman is a member of the family!"

Wow. Married to a man in the industry. Well, you can tell your husband that he does good work. Half life and friends have been a lot of fun. And I too am looking forward to half life 2, though, I've heard nothing more than rumors about it. But, something I'm looking forward to that comes out very soon, is the new counter strike. From the videos, it looks to be a great improvement over the first, and will more than likely bring my social life to an all new low. Woohoo.

Qin
June 14th, 2002, 02:54 AM
What exactly is Half Life Generations? Four-thousand patches and mods I could easily download for free over the internet? That's what all the other editions - Gold, Game of the Year, etc - were.