PDA

View Full Version : Completed Stories that feels Incomplete

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

tooeviltoknow
February 6th, 2006, 01:27 AM
I was just wondering if anyone here feels the same as I do about my stories. Not the unfinished ones, but the ones that youíre done with. Have you ever have that joyous feeling when youíre finished with a story (short stories, novels, it doesnít matter) only to come back to it about a month or two later to read it and feel like itís not yet completed, or worst, feels like itĎs crap?

Well, I do. It's like thereís something in your story thatís missing, but you donĎt know what it is. To be honest, itís kinda frustrating and itís driving me crazy. Makes me want to delete those stories and start over from scratch.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone ever feels this way about their story; how itís complete but doesnít feel that wayÖ or maybe this is all just in my headÖ

Sid_Fallon
February 6th, 2006, 01:51 AM
In a way, perhaps I do. Mostly, I think it's the nonstop flow of ideas that any writer should get. With my own stories I've realized the story itself is fine the way it is, but I get related ideas or ways to improve my writer overall. It means you have more to say, and that's a good thing.

tordot
February 6th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Thatís probably our subconscious telling us the story isnít polished. When I feel that way, I can usually find something to add or something to cut out from the story. Youíve probably put a lot of hours and hard work into your stories, so itís pretty wasteful to simply discard the whole thing. Thereís got to be some merit to the story or you wouldnít have written it to begin with. I pinpoint the parts of the story I love, and edit the hell out of the parts I donít.

Expendable
February 6th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Some stories it's okay to have that 'incomplete' feeling - it means you can come back to it later and write new stories to fill it.

But if you didn't mean to have that 'incomplete' feeling, you might want to ask others to read the stories and give you their impressions. Then maybe that'll help you find where that feeling's coming from.

tooeviltoknow
February 6th, 2006, 07:31 PM
But if you didn't mean to have that 'incomplete' feeling, you might want to ask others to read the stories and give you their impressions. Then maybe that'll help you find where that feeling's coming from.

True. It's just that the short story I have I'm planning on publishing (Writers of the Future comes to mind), so I'm afraid to post it here because it would be considered published already (although I could be wrong). So those that are willing to read my stories (family members mainly) donít know what to look for and are generally saying, ďOh, thatís good.Ē

Anyone ever have that problem, by the way?

Dawnstorm
February 6th, 2006, 08:02 PM
True. It's just that the short story I have I'm planning on publishing (Writers of the Future comes to mind), so I'm afraid to post it here because it would be considered published already (although I could be wrong). So those that are willing to read my stories (family members mainly) donít know what to look for and are generally saying, ďOh, thatís good.Ē

You can always offer to mail the story to interested parties.

Expendable
February 6th, 2006, 10:34 PM

Friends and family are usually ok to ask if a story's good. (watch out for bias)

To pick a story apart, you need another writer. If you've got a writer's group in your area (they love bookstores with a coffee shop) you can try them, or do what Dawnstorm suggested and see if anyone's willing to look at your story for a private critique.

Banger
February 7th, 2006, 11:19 AM

[removes Staff hat and puts on amateur writer hat]

I use Critters (http://www.critters.org). It's free, but you have to critique others' stories to get yours critiqued. The critiques are a mixed bag, but after sifting out the non-helpful stuff I always find some really helpful feedback. Many of the people in Critters have been published. In fact, I critiqued one of the stories in last month's issue of Analog (http://www.analogsf.com/0602/issue_02.shtml).