PDA

View Full Version : Console Wars..Who do you think will be the winner?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

cheese
February 18th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Well this is a discussion about the Xbox 360, ps3, and Nintendo Revolution an your general thoughts on who is going to emerge as the "must buy" console of next gen gaming. As the xbox 360 is already out, I own one, and am generally impressed. Though their is a lack of game titles so far and the graphics in some games are marginally better I quite enjoyed games like Project Gotham Racing, Call of Duty 2 etc. One major thing that im quite upset about is the limited backwards compatible games. Xbox live is quite a hit, and the arcade games are awesome. Soon im going to need more then the 20gig hard-drive (actually 13gig but whatever) provided with the premium. There has been quite a lack of availability of the system, and quite a few of them are crashing and overheating (luckily mine is fine). With games on the horizon such as prey, ghost recon, fight night round 3, oblivion, Gears of war, and too human I am quite happy I purchased this system..

Even though I love microsoft I think ps3 is going to be the champion. Though they haven't finished the system I believe they will be able to pump out better graphics then xbox 360 and nintendo rev. The processing speed is quite faster and I think there launch games will be better. I haven't heard to much on the revolution. Supposedly the graphics are just better then GC but obviously thats not the point. It will be innovative but I wonder how well it is going to sell.

Here is my order of best to worst:
1. Ps3- Though its not out, it will be a tad better then xbox 360 IMO
2. Xbox 360-Despite shaky start, will pick up pace
3. Nintendo Revolution-From what I have seen and heard im not that interested in it.

saintjon
February 18th, 2006, 05:42 PM
The winners will be us, but seriously I'm not interested in X-box 360 or PS3 (well I'll have to see what I hear when it comes available, but I won't be thinking about a PS3 any time soon). Everything about why I refuse to even consider a 360 is pretty much covered in your post.

I want a Revolution for several reasons: lower launch price, an emphasis on not emphasising graphics, backwards compatibility with gcn and the nintendo classics on download but most of all the controller that will kick the door open on a whole new world of games.

People like to think of movies and games along similar lines (marketers sure do anyways) and seriously I was never into Jerry Bruckheimer blow stuff up blockbuster style hollywood bs. I like movies that are innovative and I like games that are innovative. So if two companies are having some kind of graphics arms and not pushing the bill very much in other areas and a third is just completely re-inventing the wheel then naturally that's the one I'm going to favour. Especially when it comes with a lower price tag.

Do I think Nintendo will "win"? Probably not. But I think in a way they already have by being able to say with authority that they were the ones who actually gave people something different instead of something slightly better and that they were the first ones to do it (as they have been in the past)

Rob B
February 18th, 2006, 07:02 PM
PS3 - two words: Backwards Compatability.

cheese
February 18th, 2006, 07:17 PM
I actually like nintendo quite a bit. I had a N64 and GC, and enjoyed it. The only problem I had with GC is that there wasn't enough first person shooters which tend to be my favourite games. I will probably pick up a Nintendo Revolution (or the next nintendo system for that matter) in about three years as its affordable. I will be at university (hopefully) and I don't want to dish out a ton of money when I can get something a bit cheaper thats still fun.

http://games.kikizo.com/news/200602/065_p1.asp

That is a good article on ps3 and how they are sort of overplaying how good their graphics will be. It also talks about a December release in Japan, and a early spring (2007) release in North America.

kater
February 18th, 2006, 07:31 PM
I think if you are looking for a 'units sold' winner then I think PS3 is going to 'win'. All you have to do is look at the userbase and factor in Rob's reason. Xbox 360 sold less units in Japan it's first week and month than the Xbox did by comparison. PS2 sold 1.3 million units in the first week in Japan. Currently the totals for Xbox and PS2 sales in Japan stand at a 14:1 ratio in favour of Sony. Elsewhere in the world there will be relative parity with M$ being strong in the U.S and Europe because Sony treats Europe like poop and M$ is a US company.

But I'm really looking forward to the Revolution, I saw a crazy story in the games media about Nintendo doing a foot control to go with the hand controller - for like side-stepping, running and movement in games. Now it may be false, it may not, the great thing is that Nintendo are trying it. Hardware innovations are rare and almost always tied to other new technology advances, not specific gaming ones so Revolution should be a lot of fun. I guess I should state here I own a 360, will be a PS3 owner no matter what and can't wait for the Revolution - especially if the last two don't get released at the same time :D To me it's all good.

cheese
February 18th, 2006, 10:33 PM
After paying all that money for a Xbox 360 (well, I paid half :D ) I still want to get another console. I will probably get a Revolution because Nintendo is a great company and I still want to support them. I looked around at what people were saying about the Revolution and it seems pretty interesting. Also if it is around $200-300 it will be a really good buy, and I would pick it up.

Muess
February 19th, 2006, 04:26 AM
We have some pretty educated gamers here I see ;)

This is how I see it going:

1) Sony will come out on top again. There will be a lot of developer support for the system leading to a large variety of games which will spur strong sales in every region. I don't think it's dominance will be quite so strong this time around though.

2) Nintendo will do very well in Japan, starting of slowly but catching up to Sony once they flesh out their games library and people discover the unique playability of the Revolutions control scheme. It will sell averagely in Western markets throughout it's lifecycle since the majority of Western console buyers appear to be less interested in innovation, caring more about graphics and convergence. Still, due to it's low price point and unique library of games a lot of people will pick it up as a second system and it won't be to far behind Xbox.

3) Microsoft will catch up to Sony a little bit in the Western markets but without FF XI to sell a few consoles it will drop behind even more in Japan.

kater
February 19th, 2006, 09:04 AM
I think Nintendo is vitally important to this next round of the console wars. Unless the hardware challenges the developer to innovate then we're going to have three clone companies dishing up the same poop. Just look at the overlap of software between consoles at the moment. As long as Nintendo can guarantee a decent number of titles and developers willing to make Revolution exclusive games -- which they'll have to with the new revolution controller, then I think it will divide the industry far more than at present. As long as they can balance the quality and also having 'normal' games through 3rd party controllers etc (I'd imagine they'll have to do a normal controller aswell or lose a lot of games) then I think they will do well, in Japan mainly but also in the West as everyone's second system.

JamesL
February 19th, 2006, 09:51 AM
I think Nintendo is vitally important to this next round of the console wars

I also think the opposite as well - this round is hugely important to Nintendo. Regardless of what Nintendo have said publicly, we all know they are disappointed with the way the Gamecube went down with gamers. It was pretty bad - if you went into a 'Game' store a few years ago you would find a whole wall devoted to Xbox and another for PS2, with GC stuck in a pokey corner.

If the Revolution doesn't improve Nintendo's fortunes, the company might find themselves heading the same way as Sega did after the Dreamcast flop. (Nintendo however have a monopoly on the handheld market and this will keep them afloat.) I admire Nintendo's innovation, but their stubborness in sticking to their guns rather than being more 'mainstream' - although admirable - might be their downfall.

cheese
February 20th, 2006, 06:26 PM
I actually read an article claiming that the ps3 will cost $900 to make. They will obviously use mircrosofts tactic of selling it lower then manufacture price and trying to do good in the long run. That would be way to expensive for the average gamer even if its $700. I also have heard of a delay which would push the ps3 date back to 2007 for North America and late 2006 for Japan.