View Full Version : Name that story

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

firey 13
February 20th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Hi All,

I'm hoping that someone out there can help me (and believe me I need lots of help!). I'm trying to identify a book that I read over 20 years ago but has been playing on my mind lately for some reason. I think it was called "Iron Robert" but I can't find any reference to a book by that title anywhere and I have no author's name to go with.

The story involves a human boy who is one of the last of his species. He lives with many other oddities in an interstellar travelling circus/gladiator ring. He is special due to his wide array of emotions. He was brought up in the circus by other oddities one of whom is some kind of alien/robot (that I thought was the Iron Robert of the title but I could be very wrong). He wants to return to Earth and meet what others of his species (human) that remain. The robot (Robert?) eventually fights for the boy's freedom and wins but dies in the process. The boy returns to Earth/meets humans but finds them shallow, self centred beings and longs for the days in the circus.

If any one out there has either some knowledge of this story or another suggestion as to how I could identify the title/author could they please post it and let me know. A long shot I'm sure but... stranger things have happened (usually in SF stories!).

Thanks & regards,
Firey