PDA

View Full Version : Writing about your home town

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

onions
February 27th, 2006, 04:50 AM
I've just been asked by an alternative scene-magazine to contribute a story! It's for a special they're doing "about Vienna".
(Of course, I immediately started hyperventilating and forgot anything I ever knew about the city I live in. :o I mean, it's a fantastically interesting city, but my mind's gone blank...I need to calm down a little first, I think. *g*)

Anyway, I'm interested what you would write about your own town.

A romance set in the local morgue? A satire about rampant suicide tourism? A historical stream of consciousness-piece about an embittered ruler wavering between enlightenment and absolutism until he gets an ulcer?

Let's hear it! :)

Dawnstorm
February 27th, 2006, 05:52 AM
All the inhabitants get turned into statues, and - occasionally - Gargoyles. Told from the point of view of a pigeon.

pcarney
February 27th, 2006, 06:50 AM
I live in Providence, Rhode Island, where HP Lovecraft lived, and based many of his stories. Its kinda cool to read about a particular location, and no where he was writing about. No surprise, this has been a springboard for many story ideas of mine.

Banger
February 27th, 2006, 09:02 AM
I live in Providence, Rhode Island, where HP Lovecraft lived, and based many of his stories. Its kinda cool to read about a particular location, and no where he was writing about. No surprise, this has been a springboard for many story ideas of mine.

I love how Lovecraft was able to transform southern New England in the imaginations of his readers. Washington Irving did the same thing with the Hudson Valley of New York.

I can't think of any writers who wrote about Queens :p

To be honest, Iím hard-pressed to think of any authors who really captured New York City. The best I can come up with is Martin Scorcese's film work.

I have written a few short stories set in NYC, but in each instance it is depicted rather anonymously. I'm not sure if that says more about the characteristics of the stories or about the person who wrote them ;)

onions: Is there anything about Vienna, for instance a particular landmark or recent local event, that captures your imagination?

onions
February 27th, 2006, 09:46 AM
ROFL!
Dawnstorm, that is...oh my god that is brilliant. If you ever do write that, you will let me read it, won't you?
What would that pigeon's driving motivation be?
"Oh, look! All those wonderful new statues. Which one shall I crap on first?"

Banger, there's too much capturing my imagination, I think...
I might write something about Kolschitzky, an interesting character during the Turkish siege of Vienna in 1653. A complete show off who had everyone convinced of his prowess as a spy.

I suppose I could write something about the Narrenturm, the loony bin they built in the late 18th century, and the inhuman methods they had of "curing" people.

And that's just the historical stuff, never mind the present.

Dawnstorm
February 27th, 2006, 12:39 PM
ROFL!
Dawnstorm, that is...oh my god that is brilliant. If you ever do write that, you will let me read it, won't you?
What would that pigeon's driving motivation be?
"Oh, look! All those wonderful new statues. Which one shall I crap on first?"

Hehe...

I won't write about my hometown, ever, though. I don't like to write about existant places. Heck, I even feel uncomfortable writing other person's fictional characters! Imagine when it's lives... :eek:

virangelus
February 27th, 2006, 09:27 PM
All the inhabitants get turned into statues, and - occasionally - Gargoyles. Told from the point of view of a pigeon.

That is so AWESOME :D I like it!

Me, personally, I live on a border town so there's a lot of things I could stick into a frenzy. A person trying to come over one side of the border to be free and those that want to keep him back. Maybe add in some sci-fi thing about how foriegners are disappearing in the desert or something. I'm sure there is something you could come up with.

Expendable
February 28th, 2006, 01:05 AM
University town. Do I write about the DOD research labs? The insect lab where they serve mealworms to visitors? The students/grads living/sleeping in the library? The odd student riot? The laser stabbing at clouds in the middle of the night? What about the professor who forgot to mention he was on parole from a Texas prison for murder - and didn't check in for two years? The little chinese restaurant that closes - only to open up a month or two later as a chinese restaurant? Or the prison just outside of town? How about the prisoner who escaped as far as McDonalds - only to get arrested when he tried to order coffee? The DA who went missing?

So much to write about....

Katran
February 28th, 2006, 03:16 AM
My home town is San Francisco, which is done and done over again, to the point at which I don't think I'd be able to say much else about it. Two locations I'd want to cover were already used--by a non-SF native, Tim Powers, in Earthquake Weather. *shakes fist*

I am rolling around an idea in my head that takes place in Los Angeles, where I live now. Again the city is not exactly untouched by literature, but my idea fits better here.

virangelus
February 28th, 2006, 11:09 AM
They always say that big cities like New York are so weird, but sometimes it's actually the little suburbs or another smaller city nearby that is weirder.

I live next to this one city in the southwest (well, sorta close, in another big city nearby) and I swear there is something in the water because something looney always goes on there, like one guy who ate his cat, and then another guy who got some kick out of being on the power lines O.o and I know there is more but I can't quite remember at the moment ><