PDA

View Full Version : The search for a story

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

ssparks120
March 2nd, 2006, 06:50 AM
Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this question. Some time ago I was perusing some creative writing and short story pages. I came a cross a wonderful story that I liked very much. I am unable to find it again and I hoped that maybe there were others that had come across it or might know somewhere that I could look to find it again. It would have been 1997 to 2000 when I first saw the story. The problem is I don't remember the title or the author.

The stroy was about a family who lived somewhere where tornados were pretty much always a threat. Among the family was a child named Bud, his mother, his brother or sister (can't remember which) and an alcoholic father. Anyway, a tornado happened to occurr which prompted the family to hide in their cellar. The tornado was somewhat personified as an evil presence that wanted to claim one of the family in the cellar. The abusive, alcoholic father would ridicule his child and say the tornado had come for them. But when the child went up to allow the tornado to take him he or she came back down and stated that the tornado had come to claim the father. That's where the story ended.

I absolutely loved the story and hoped to find it again. Can anyone please help?

MrBF1V3
March 3rd, 2006, 01:04 AM
The story in question sounds familiar, but I may be remembering a different story. I found it when I participated in the "google yourself" thread. It was at the website of a writer named Stephen Graham Jones.

http://www.stephengrahamjones.net/

I believe he rotates the stories he has posted, so the one I'm remembering may not be there. Also, you have to dig for it. Good luck.

B5