PDA

View Full Version : Attention to all video game fans!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

jts7788
March 2nd, 2006, 08:35 PM
Some one needs to stop these movies from being made. Beautiful games and storylines are being ruined by people who dont know the first thing about the damn series. Examples: Mortal Combat, House of the Dead, RESIDENT EVIL, Doom, and almost every single Movie game being produced. My main disapointment was the resident evil series. It compltely messed the story line up. Resident evil was a beatiful peice of work that inspired me at a young age till now. The movie puts out a whole difrent shitty image of resident evil and for non gamers this is all they know about the story. Ive read all the books, and beat all the games. They all coincide except the movies. Its destroyed the image of resident evil. Becuase thats what Resident Evil is known for now, those god damn movies. Corny, dumb, and didnt even run with the story line. Who agrees that something should be done? What games are next on the path of false representation you ask? Here are a few
Silent Hill
HALO
Night Mare Creatures (Suposedly)
And Wes Anderson himself is onh his way to destroying another game legend.
In 2007 he plans to relelase his next work. Castlevania. When will this Tradgedy end?

Share your thoughts, but expect me to defend my own.

Sincerly,
Justin Thomas Squires

Quagmire
March 3rd, 2006, 09:27 AM
oh don't be too harsh. there's been some good video game movies
Double Dragon
Street Fighter
Super Mario
Wing Commander

:D

Muess
March 3rd, 2006, 11:16 AM
oh don't be too harsh. there's been some good video game movies
Double Dragon
Street Fighter
Super Mario
Wing Commander

:D

Yeah! Awesome!!! :D :p

Muess
March 3rd, 2006, 11:45 AM
On topic though. I don't really see that this needs to be stopped (though I wouldn't object if it were).

Sure there are a lot of terrible VG movies, and more to come, but I don't see how they affect the integrity of the games they are based on. A games storyline can't be ruined by a movie which isn't even based on that storyline and I don't think people are going to base their opinions of gaming or games on VG based movies, but if they choose to do so then that's their loss.

Games based on movies are in my opinion the greater evil. Nine times out of ten they are terrible games but they still sell very well to the casual gamer market due to the movie license. This hurts the games industry more because it causes people who are already buying games to feel like they have been cheated, causing them to buy less games in the future.

jts7788
March 3rd, 2006, 01:01 PM
I completely agree about the video game based on movies theory. I cant stand them either. But the point I was trying to get acrossed about movies based of games was that Non gamers get the wrong image of that series or game. I just thinks its sad to make such poor film out of such a great game. I simply think if you were to stick to the story line that created fans in that franchise to begin with, you could really have a great movie in your hands. I meen, woulnt you want to see resident evil the movie, that was actually based in the mansion, I meen I would lovce to see the game played out on the big screen. I dont think it would have been such a difficult task. Maybe what gets me the most is the fact I am a writer, I come up with story lines daily. I cant stand for one second seeing someone taking someone elses work and try so desperately to change it into your own. Im my iopnion you stick with the original or use your own story. Or you can do what S.D Perry did. The RE Author of the books. Make a story that coincides with the original. Her works went with the main story and were also good. I know I am sticking around the RE subject becuase thats the biggest one that got me steemed. Im a big fan. I someday plan on going into the movie industry Id like very much to make movies. I hope to one day make a video game movie completely like a video game. Hopefully devil may cry.lol.
But anyway I know this reply is to drawn out already so iLL END IT HERE.

~Justin Thomas Squires

Quagmire
March 3rd, 2006, 01:55 PM
uh, I think making Devil May Cry into a movie isn't a good idea. Storyline is pretty simple.

not too many video games have good storylines in the first place. Not even any of the final fantasy games (ones that I've played anyways).

Maybe Leisure Suit Larry? hehe

jts7788
March 3rd, 2006, 04:50 PM
dude your not very bright when it comes to story lines then . Sorry to say. Final Fantasy games have very deep and good storylines. Sounds like youve only played 10-2 or somethin.

Quagmire
March 3rd, 2006, 05:17 PM
which FF are you referring to? I've played part 1 on NES, part 2 and a bit of 3 in SNES. I read the storyline for FF8 on PS and it sounded really lame. Too much lovey dovey. It just seems like Square just wants to show off that they have talented Maya animators.

jts7788
March 3rd, 2006, 08:59 PM
Eight has a really descent stroy line, but it has to be played out in order to understand it, and apreciate it. I was actually reffering to the brilliance of seven and six though. And I didnt meen to sound so rude when I said the last comment. I was just amazed at the remark.lol.

Wulfa_Jones
March 4th, 2006, 04:24 AM
I didn't think Doom was that bad of a film. Sure it messed around a bit with the plot but the game, or the original anyway, was just about running around killing stuff. I think the film delivered and while some might mock the FPS I think it was quite a brave directorial choice.

I too was disappointed with the Resident Evil films. I was quite a fan of the games and also a massive zombie movie fan when I was younger and so was highly anticipating the Resident Evil film but I think they pretty much ruined it. That said Iíve read the Romero script and while it stuck to the game slightly more (including the giant snake and plant) it still moved to quickly from the claustrophobic and dark corridors of the mansion into the lab sections.

Tomb Raider was another film that disappointed highly. I loved the first couple of games and the casting of Jolie was sound. However, rather than the Indiana Jones inspired film I was expecting (even with the Alien twist at the endÖ) I got some half arsed Bondeqse action film. Havenít bother with number 2.

I have great hopes for Silent Hill, I trust the team behind it and based on the footage Iíve seen so far it looks pretty good. Halo also sounds like it could be cool, Alex Garland writing and Peter Jackson producing are good signs. I know Alex Garland to be a massive video game fan so I reckon heíll do a good job. My main worry is that Iíve heard del Toro is directing, while I like the majority of his films Iím not sure if he is right for the project.

My main worry is Uwe Boll how has managed to get the film rights some pretty decent games (do the IP holders not care?) such as Fear Effect and Far Cry. From what Iíve seen of Blood Rayne, while not a great game either IMO, looks pretty lame. I waiting to see if Dungeon Siege will be as bad or worse than the Dungeon and Dragons film.

And Wes Anderson himself is onh his way to destroying another game legend

I'm guessing you mean Paul W.S Anderson. I can't see Wes Anderson doing Castlevania... The thing with Paul W.S. Anderson is that he's a competent director (unlike Boll), but his writing is the thing that lets him down. Castlevania is likely to end up being around the same quality as Van Helsing. Oddly enough the only thing I like the Anderson wrote was a backdoor TV pilot called The Sight.