PDA

View Full Version : Want suggestions on self-publishing

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

RGreene
March 4th, 2006, 09:29 AM
I know most self-publishing companies charge so much for each copy that the writer can't make money, require large orders, soak the author with editing costs, etc. (You're probably aware of the problems). I want to know what writers want in a self-publishing company so because I'm writing a proposal to attempt to get funding to create a company that meets the needs of the writers. Your input is greatly appreciated, and may help to create a company that you and others will be happy to use. I want to be successful, so I want input! Please share your experience and suggestions with me. Thank you!

choppy
March 4th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Writers seek self-publication outfits for different reasons. I don't think there are that many people out there who are really looking to make a fortune off of self-publication. More often that not, they are looking for someone who will publish their memoirs or stories or recipies on a small scale so that they can share them with their immediate community. Others are looking for exposure or experience.

One idea that might help is accessability for the non-computer literate folks. I went to a writer's group meeting last week and was absolutely astounded that there are still people who can't create a simple MS Word document to save their lives. These are people who physically write, with pen and paper and PAY other people to type out their work. If you could offer this service, and somehow communicate it to these people, I think you'd definately have a unique niche.

(Perhaps not the advice you'd hear from a speculative fiction website).

Erebus
March 4th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Not sure where you are based RGreene, but we started exactly what you propose right here in Australia because there really wasn't anyone offering deserving authors a chance to see their works in print as cost effectively as possible. Our ozPOD (short for Australian Print On Demand) publishing packages are aimed primarily at Australian spec-fic authors, but we also look at other genres, especially if they have an Australian flavour, as well as considering submissions from international authors.

If you'd like to find out more, please feel free to have a look HERE (www.ozpod.net).

whitesilkbreeze
March 5th, 2006, 02:41 AM
I'm not sure if you're interested in this one (and I don't know enough about it), but Lulu (http://www.lulu.com/) is an online self-publishing thing. It might be really awful from a professional perspective, so if someone else gives some input on it, that would be good.

I only heard of it through friends who finished NaNoWriMo last year. Lulu was offering one free paperback of all winners' books, so they got their manuscripts published that way.