PDA

View Full Version : Help! Sci-Fi coursework!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

melly_the_elf
March 4th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Hey everyone!

I am studying the genre and narrative of science fiction for my film studies coursework! I get to choose one 10 minute sequence from a film or two 5 minute sequences from two different films. I have decided to use one sequence from star wars attack of the clones, where Obi-Wan and Anakin chase the assasin (of amidala)through the metropolis city and ends before they enter the nightclub. I am really stuck on what to say! I dont know where to start! i know i can say about the visual effects and location, but what else?

I was planning to do my other sequence from blade runner, but i am not sure again what sequence to do! It has to be one that shows science fiction at its best!

I hope anyone can help!

Mel

Ouroboros
March 4th, 2006, 02:46 PM
The Anakin / Obi Wan scene from 'Attack of the Clones' is a pretty odd choice. If you're dead set on doing it, then the angle I'd take is to go a bit further and look at what happens when they enter the bar. Explore it as a reworking of the Mos Eisley scene from the original 'Star Wars: A New Hope'.

The common denominator in both scenes is Obi Wan Kenobi. Both times he is forced to resort to violence. The obvious difference being that in the prequel he is there as an agent of the establishment, and in 'A New Hope' he is as much an outlaw as the denizens of the bar.

If you're set on looking at the chase scene, then the only really interesting angle I can think of would be for you to explore how Lucas included buildings in the backdrop of the city which are based on well-known international architectural triumphs.

As for the Blade Runner scene, I'd recommend comparing and contrasting the ending of the Director's cut of the movie versus the cinematic releases' ending.

If you're still stuck, then you need to find a pair of scenes which you can actually write comfortably about.

Ward
March 4th, 2006, 09:25 PM
You know you could compare and contrast the idea of 'city' in both films, and the way the director handles them. In blade runner the early flyover sequence, the crowded streets with their profusion of cultural influences, tracking a hover car slowly over the dense city (and the blimp!) en route to the golden pyramid. Here the city takes a life of its own, its near future and understandable...yet strange and impenetrable at the same time. The mood is brooding, heavy.

With the attack fo the clones chase sequence the city is a racing background, just another color palette speeding past the foreground action. It's breathtaking enough, and superficially similar to blade runner's metropolis, but does it feel real? Here the setting is pushed way back and the action takes center stage, the familiar props of sci-fi are all on hand to serve up a rowdy chase scene.

So, right there, you've got a meaty topic you can grab hold of, both scenes are using the same materials (hover car flying over an sprawling, high tech city) but arrive at very different places emotionally.

Hobbit
March 5th, 2006, 07:01 AM
It also allows you to look at SF cinema in the context of interpreting future cities: that SF cinema can exanine the future by predicting possible futures.

If this is a way you want to go, try also Fritz Lang's Metropolis, Dark City and even The Matrix for a city where things are not what we seem.

Hobbit