View Full Version : Testament...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Liam Sharp
March 6th, 2006, 07:26 AM
From Vertigo, written by Douglas Rushkoff, and drawn by me!
Anybody read it?

kater
March 6th, 2006, 08:38 AM
To be honest I haven't yet, I'm guiltly going to admit I wait for trades rather than buy - what would be for me - a tonne of titles ona regular basis. How is it doing? are we going to see a trade soon or is that jumping the gun? :D

Liam Sharp
March 6th, 2006, 08:42 AM
To be honest I haven't yet, I'm guiltly going to admit I wait for trades rather than buy - what would be for me - a tonne of titles ona regular basis. How is it doing? are we going to see a trade soon or is that jumping the gun? :D

This one is made for the trade format. The first trade of the first five issues is due out in June I think, or sooner...

I'll let you know!

Liam.

kater
March 6th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Fantastic :D I do feel like a lazy ass sometimes, often waiting quite a while for trades to come out, and there are titles - 100 Bullets for example, where there is always this gnawing feeling that I should be keeping up because it's such a good read. Trades though are a nice way to get a larger dose and more of the plot, I guess my impatience to know it all now doesn't help :)

Wulfa_Jones
March 6th, 2006, 12:01 PM
I'll have a look out for it when I'm comic shopping on saturday.

Rob B
March 6th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Here's what I said in my blog (http://blogorob.blogspot.com/2006/01/comics-and-beer.html) when I picked up the first issue:

.....I picked up Testament #1 by Douglas Rushkoff and Liam Sharp. I’d seen the preview for this in a recent issue of Fables and liked the art. Liam has taken to hanging out in the sffworld forums, too. Well, what did I think? As first issues go, I think they did a good job of setting up the story and the characters. The opening pages of a flashback, of sorts, segueing into the present storyline was effective. The world they lay out is familiar and eerie – religious overtones mixed with PKD-paranoia – is reminiscent of a Big Brother controlled world. Sharp’s art is quite effective and his art really shines on the closing pages of this issue. I liked his art on the Possessed mini-series from a couple of years ago and his high quality pencils, seemingly inspired by HP Lovecraft imagery is equally suited here. I’ll definitely be picking up the second issue, and chances are, I’ll be adding it to my pull-list...

Liam Sharp
March 6th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Cheers Rob. :)

Issue 3 is already out - my favourite! - and we've had amazing reviews on Ain't It Cool News, in Variety magazine, and a bunch of major US papers, as well as numerous online comic news sites. My best reviews ever, bar none, so I'm unbelievably happy about that.

Cheers all,

Liam.

Eventine
March 8th, 2006, 11:54 PM
I'm a bit like kater and tend to wait for trades, although while sussing this out I also noticed Possessed, which looks to be a pretty interesting read as well.

Liam, I first saw your work in 'On The Way To The Front', which was the first graphic story I've ever seen in a short story collection - great stuff.

Liam Sharp
March 9th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Ah, another China Miéville fan! The man's just amazing, and I'm happy to call him a friend now.

The Possessed, which was fun, didn't quite soar to the heights it promised. SO much potential, but the writers fell out big time, and now it's in limbo - most likely for all eternity...

Probably fitting somehow!

Re. Testament - I think it's worth waiting for the collection. The hope has always been that it would really find it's true audience in collected volumes.

Cheers!

Liam.

kater
March 9th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Is that a major concern/balancing act thought about in the industry, how well a title will do as a trade aswell as how well the initial comic sells? I'd have thought you get more casual buyers and dabblers in tpb's and gn's than in comics.