View Full Version : Putting writing online

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

SusanRae
March 9th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Do you ever worry about posting stories to the internet? I do. Not to say I'm some fabulous writer or anything, but I'm always afraid someone is going to run off with one of my ideas and either rewrite it or use what I've provided. I've got some stuff I'd like to post, but I can't get over this worry.

I'm totally over paranoid.

GhostShell
March 9th, 2006, 06:19 PM
I know what you mean, it was my worry too. but critique is important. And i can't speak for the people who aren't registered but everyone i've meet here has been great. Most are either interested or going through what you are. Plus once you written it, the work is yours by copyright law. And its on file here (with a post date) if there should ever be any problem.:D

I've posted the start of my work, but do not intend to post everything for two reasons: 1) if they've read it here and i ever get it published why would anyone want to buy it, they'd just visit this site and read it for free. 2) in case of difficulties such as you've described. It means i have the original and all full info and story and character development. Another piece of proof, if a man (me) with my name on this site has half and i have all of it, then clearly there's more proof its mine, on top of the help mentioned in the first paragraph.

Take heart, you're among friends here and its always good to hear when you've done what you hoped you'd do, or to hear the one piece of critique or encouragement that might make all the difference.

But you decide.
Chris.:)

choppy
March 9th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Hi Susan,

This comes up rather frequently as a concern for many writers. I don't think you're paranoid. Paranoid is when you believe the government is monitoring your every keystroke and allow this belief to interfere with your life. A good dose of personal concern and caution is healthy.

The danger of someone stealing your work is very minimal. Those who pay for material have more than enough stuff to sort through in their slush piles. They don't need to go stealing. Further, for the amount of money a publisher could lose through lawsuits and lost production time, it's more than worth their while to pay you for your work up front.

That leaves the occasional lurker who might pull the old copy and paste and then submit your work with his name on it. I suppose that's a possibility, but if you talk to anyone who'se gone through the head-against-the-brick-wall process of submission you'll find it's not worth the time to do dishonestly. You have to wait at least a few weeks to hear back from each publisher - more often several months and maybe even more than a year. And even if they do go through all that and get lucky, what's that person going to say when they're asked to write a sequel?

Frauds are out for quick money - and it ain't in stealing manuscripts.

JRMurdock
March 9th, 2006, 07:23 PM
You'd have an easier time making money with e-mail scams than you would trying to rip off someone's story. Don't fear. And I know what you mean about being paranoid.

What you don't want to do it put something on the internet if you intend to seek getting it published. By doing so, you've burned up first print rights. That's about the only fear you should have.

SusanRae
March 10th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Thanks, you've all been very helpful in assuaging my worries. I hardly think I'm publishable yet, so I shouldn't have to worry too much about first print rights.

Now I need just battle my insecurities and put something up.

Thanks again!

Celebrišn
March 10th, 2006, 10:10 AM
What you don't want to do it put something on the internet if you intend to seek getting it published. By doing so, you've burned up first print rights. That's about the only fear you should have.

erm... what are first print rights?

And susan, it took me a few weeks to pluck up the courage to put anything up, but everyone is really nice about it. Dont worry!:)

GhostShell
March 10th, 2006, 11:38 AM
The right a company has to call it a first printing. It doesn't effect money you would get, nor your ability to have another company print it later. Try these links:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/First_e-rights

http://www.fictionfactor.com/articles/rights.html

You should get some idea, it kind of hard for me to explain.

choppy
March 10th, 2006, 06:11 PM
In a nutshell, first print rights are just that. What a publisher purchases from the author is the right to print the material. "First" indicates that they will be the first ones to publish it (ie you haven't sold it to anyone else). This does not necessarily mean "exclusive" rights. So for example, once you've published a story, you may be able to market it to other publishers as a "reprint" - for things like anthologies and "best of" books. Most publishers will state what they buy and whether they accept reprints in their submission guidelines.

Ultimately when you make a sale, you have to make sure that you read the contract and understand exactly what it is you're agreeing to. As I understand it some publishers will purchase rights to fictional worlds and/or characters - which gets a little more complicated.

Celebrišn
March 11th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Thanks:) It was just curiosity really, but it's good to know. :D

marymoonshine
March 14th, 2006, 07:05 AM
if you have only posted a small fragment of your story have you still lost the first rights ? and does this mean that it is already published even when the story is removed fromt he website?