View Full Version : Favorite RPG, any system, besides final fantasy

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Broken Skies X
March 14th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Just name any one of your favorite Rpg's besides the final fantasy series, one of mine would have to the Lunar series, The second one, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete on the PS. I loved the story line, among the anime style of scenes. A great classic, i heard there were gonna be four Lunar games, and so far ive only seen 2, im hoping for a new one on the PS2 or ps3 ne day now

Muess
March 15th, 2006, 10:29 AM
My favourite one would probably have to be Xenogears.

That would be closely followed by Shining Force 2 and Chrono Trigger.

Tarn
March 15th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Morrowind, without a doubt. My definition of 'RPG' is very literal - a role-playing game. Nothing else is sacred as far as I'm concerned, including stuff like turn-based combat, an over-abundance of stats. None of that is particularly important to me: being able to immerse myself in a role is the key thing, and Morrowind is the only game I've played that properly allows me to do that.

I've played some other brilliant games that are considered to be in the RPG genre (Deus Ex and Knights of the Old Republic 1, also Final Fantasy 8 & 9 to a far lesser degree), but they usually have you playing an established character. Squall in FF8, JC Denton in Deus Ex.

Morrowind, however, really does let you be whoever you want, and dosen't really force you to do anything you don't want to do. At the same time, it also delivers a great story that sucked me right in and still does to this day. Despite the clunky combat and fiddly interface, the game is really quite magical.

Oblivion is out next week, so I imagine that will soon take my #1 spot!

saintjon
March 18th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Any system? I'd have to say Exalted, the most high-octane, epic pen-and-paper rpg out there.

I really loved Fallout.

kahnovitch
March 18th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Neverwinter Nights is the best one I've played, but I'm not a huge RPGer, having only really played Baldur's Gate, Dungeon Siege, KOTOR 1+2.

But the expansion modules are good and I like the fact that Neverwinter is mostly solo with one optional henchman.

gollumbells
March 30th, 2006, 03:29 AM
I dont know if this is a final famtasy...
Mystic Quest for SNES is ace. i dont know why people knock it. It was the first RPG game i played.

I defeated Dark king without using magic on him(because i didnt know how to change to black or wizard) i didnt use cure on him. it took a while to do(time) i did it first time.

Shehzad
April 1st, 2006, 09:58 PM
For single-player? Planescape: Torment. Flat-out the best RPG ever created on any system.

And for online, small-sclae multiplayer, its hard to beat Neverwinter Nights.

cheese
April 3rd, 2006, 09:26 AM
Well right now I would say the Elder Scrolls Oblivion because thats really the only RPG game I've played :D

JamesL
April 4th, 2006, 07:22 AM
I loved Ultima 8 Pagan, as well as the Baldur's Gate series, but my all-time fave RPG would have to be Daggerfall - the prequel to Morrowind. Staggering. Bugged to hell and flawed in many ways, but groundbreaking for the time. It was just total immersion in a fantasy world, that just seemed to come alive. The atmosphere that this game created was just amazing. I must have spent several thousand hours playing this game and there are still places I haven't been and quests I haven't done. That's depth for you.

Kirby
April 10th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Gotta back the Cheese here! ;) Oblivion v. nice environment too.