PDA

View Full Version : New Doctor Who Series:What Happened?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

-Asher-
March 18th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Well Sci-Fi finally started airing this show, and based upon the 2 hour double episode (someone please tell me this was like 90 minutes stretched into 2 hours, there were so many commercials...) I'm conflicted. I love that its back, but these episodes were pretty weak.. :(

The new Doctor doesn't resemble any of the previous Doctors. And I mean in temperment. He is darker and almost despondent, despite his catch phrase "fantastic". And he is very british..He actually blew up a transmitter, wrestled with the plastic boyfriend, and killed the living plastic. Then in the second episode he lets the tree person die, and then kills the "last human". He also mentions he fought in a war, or was it two wars? (The war with the plastic entity and the war which destroyed Gallifrey, I don't see how the plastic people could destroy Gallifrey..so thats 2 different wars..) :confused:

I thought the Sci-Fi channel was just confused when I first saw the commercials which claimed he was "the last of his kind." How could the producers just destroy Gallifrey, I hope later episodes explain this. And since the previous Doctors ran into a number of Timelords scattered about space and time, I cannot believe he is the last of his kind.

So is this Doctor the Ninth or Tenth ? Did they count the FOXTV Doctor, or just forget about that movie? (I thought we would see his regeneration)

Solaar
March 18th, 2006, 08:58 AM
You're on Christopher Eccleston - he was the 9th Doctor and David Tennant is now the 10th.

Paul McGann was the 8th, and - yes - he does count.

Solaar
the historical

kahnovitch
March 18th, 2006, 09:54 AM
You're on Christopher Eccleston - he was the 9th Doctor and David Tennant is now the 10th.

Paul McGann was the 8th, and - yes - he does count.

Solaar
the historical

*cough*Peter Cushing*cough*

Hobbit
March 18th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Yeah - Peter Cushing tends not to be counted: usually because the two films were not BBC productions, I think (and one was a film version of the episodes The Daleks).

There are changes. I guess it is a re-imagining of the character for the 21st century.

Hobbit

Rob B
March 18th, 2006, 12:18 PM
I have vague memories of the show being on Saturday mornings here in the States. I liked the first two episodes and will be adding it to my TiVO season pass.

Fuxxy Elf
March 18th, 2006, 12:27 PM
There has been one war, between the Time Lords and "Someone Else" but it was a war through time and has affected a lot of races including the nestene. The darker, more brooding doctor is a running thread thought this series, leading to some of the best drama the series has ever seen. But the point is Rose has to teach him what it's like to be the Doctor again after seeing his whole race has been destroyed he has been changed irrevocably. I think the reason behind this is to reintroduce the character to a new audience and to give him a deeper character. I loved it, the next episode is wonderful, "The Unquiet Dead" and really feels like old school Who.

I can't wait for our new series to start soon, still no date though, grrr.

Holbrook
March 18th, 2006, 01:22 PM
And he is very british

Errrrrr.......he always has been ;)

Solaar
March 18th, 2006, 01:31 PM
*cough*Peter Cushing*cough*

...shuddup...

Solaar
pushing K to one side

Mojo is me
March 19th, 2006, 11:31 AM
I feel what they are trying to do is keep enough of the old Doctor to appease the fans of the traditional show. At the same time, they are trying to get a new audience. You could know nothing about the Docotr Who series and yet still watch the two episodes.

With this being the 9th Doctor, we have had many interpetations of "who"--no pun intended--the Doctor should be. If he is now the last of the Time Lords--and suffered losses in the wars--that could certainly affect his character and make it somewhat "darker".

It was not perfect by any means, but at least I did not have the feeling of "Oh no they've ruined totally!" It is certainly worth seeing more epsides to see how this Doctor compares to others.

Solaar
March 19th, 2006, 12:39 PM
The thing about this whole 'last of the Timelords' thing really bugs me...

Surely, in the whole of time - there have to be millions more of the buggers?

there can't just be one... in our time?

Solaar
the confused