SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

GhostShell
March 20th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Have you ever hit a point where a mixer of things happen at once:

1. You get kinda bored of labouring and not knowing if it will work.
2. You look at other writers and think, i can never be as good as that.
3. You find that when you have lots of free time you can do brilliantly but fact is that you have a life and a job and commitments that you can't ignore.

And now you're at a point of going: aaaahhhhh!!!!

I don't know whether is should continue or not, no doubt i will at some point but its killing me not knowing if it will even work for anyone.

Anyone ever get that. What am i saying everyone here probably gets that.
But what do you think?

choppy
March 20th, 2006, 09:30 PM
If you've never heard of Sir Ernest Shackleton, I'd recommend reading up on him. His adventures are a real tribute to human endurance. The following add is attributed to him before he set out on a doomed expedition to the south pole around 1914.

"MEN WANTED FOR HAZARDOUS JOURNEY. LOW WAGES, BITTER COLD, LONG HOURS OF COMPLETE DARKNESS. SAFE RETURN DOUBTFUL. HONOUR AND RECOGNITION IN EVENT OF SUCCESS."
- (note: I have no direct reference for this)

This expedition lasted a couple of years. Their ship, the Endurance, became trapped in ice and was eventually crushed. The men of the expedition had to travel hundreds of miles over ice flows, row through trecherous seas with little to no food, hike over a small mountain and then go back for those they left behind. Everyone survived because of Shackleton's perserverance and iron will.

Imagine what the same article might read for a struggling author.
"WRITERS WANTED FOR NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TASK. LOW WAGES, ENDLESS RESEARCH, LONG HOURS OF COMPLETE CONCENTRATION. PUBLICATION DOUBTFUL. HONOUR AND RECOGNITION IN EVENT OF SUCCESS."

One of the tricks of staying remaining motivated is not to focus on the end-point - a completed, perfect novel that's number one on the bestseller list. This leads to the "I'll be happy when..." mindset, which can actually inhibit happiness. Instead, focus on the task at hand. Enjoy it. Love it for what it is. Strive to improve yourself through it.

(My apologies if this sounds too preachy. I have to stop listening to those self-motivational audiobooks.)

TrueScorn
March 20th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Read Stephen King. Not only is he a bloody good author, but for some reason his style and voice just make it seem so easy to write a book.

Writing is for everyone. So is skydiving, software engineering, psychology, and taxonomy. Simply, you just work for it. It looks sound on paper (technically, on your monitor) but much harder in real life.

Think about it though, is anything good in life not something you have to work for (Lottery is the exception, though I hear all winners announce bankrupcy in a few years)

I'm in a good mood, in case this all sounds odd

Expendable
March 20th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Did you ever read a book and tell yourself, "I can write better than this?"

Keep some of those books around. That way when you feel frustfrated, read one of them. After 50 pages, you usually get your spark back.

Squirting the book with lighter fuild and dancing around it as it burns is best outside in an enclosed yard.

Solaar
March 21st, 2006, 03:47 AM
Writing is for everyone. So is skydiving...

...er... unless you get it wrong the first time... :D

Solaar
pulling the cord

Dawnstorm
March 21st, 2006, 06:58 AM
When words come tumbling around you like empty shells and all amunition fired...

It's not the quality that scares me. It's that I run out of meaning before I run out of words.

I'd better quit writing once and for all.

Again.

:rolleyes:

Squirting the book with lighter fuild and dancing around it as it burns is best outside in an enclosed yard.

Oh, the image! :D

KatG
March 21st, 2006, 02:34 PM
I have it about once a day, depending. But then again, nobody's making me do this stuff, are they? If they were, I'd probably be getting a lot more of it done. You have to take a deep breath and shake it off like a dog, I guess.

JRMurdock
March 21st, 2006, 04:15 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is "Why did you start writing in the first place?"

I started writing because it made me feel good. To finish something makes me feel even better. Getting something published make me feel like I'm on top of the world. If I were to actually get a book published, watch out.

Just keep in mind that as long as you feel good about what you're putting down on the paper and you're not looking beyond anyone's expectations of what's good and bad but your own, you can only raise your own expectations. You should always be pleased when you're done and be able to dive back in and say 'but I can do better' and then try to do better. Keep your self happy knowing that you're trying. Not wheter you succeed or fail.

GhostShell
March 21st, 2006, 05:15 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments, the first three messages gave me a real urge to write late last night i was up to all hours but what i've written really impresses me, i had this wide spaning idea that just developed out of nothing. Thanks so much. And now with what i've read today i've been writing for the last few hours and i'm really pleased with it.:D

I'm really pleased that i put up this thread, knowing that there are others who are going through your hassles and are really rooting for you gives me a great need to write, and makes me much more confident about what i write. Thanks again, guys.
Chris.:)

Sir Yorkshire
March 22nd, 2006, 04:47 PM
Just stay positive, GhostShell! Everyone goes through negative times sometimes (that kinda sounds weird)! My advice: just keep writing, eventually you will find your niche and the words will flow!