View Full Version : View on critique and its effects on the writing forum

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

GhostShell
March 20th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Hi, all.

I think that although there is much critiqueing going on, i think it is a major confidence boost to the people attempting to write and it helps us become more polished in our work.

I think that people should continue this activity but if you are going to post up work for critique you should help others by critiquing at least 2 other people's work to keep the rhythm going.

I also think that we should put other subjects up in this forum too, its becoming all critique and that's not what it was made for (though i am an offender in that arena so i can't really say anything). I just think we should have a balance and remember that this is an online community.

The critique has made a lot of difference to some of the work i've seen and i know its made a huge difference to my work and how i approach it.

But of course it takes our interaction to make it so.
So, what do the people of SFFWORLD think?

Expendable
March 21st, 2006, 03:00 AM
Oh, we do other things here too. Pick a subject and do a search, you'll find many ideas here. it's never too late to add your thoughts to an old thread.

And you can do new threads too. Got a writing exercise? Got a question? Give it a shot. If there's too many critique requests it's because nobody's asking questions.

KatG
March 21st, 2006, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the imput, GhostShell, and you can make suggestions in the staff-member interaction forum that is set up for that purpose. At this time, however, there are no plans to force people to do critiques in order to get critiques on their own writing. This forum is not a writing workshop. However, we have no plans to get rid of the critique aspect of the Writing Forum either. At times, we have a lot of critique requests and people may be too busy to talk about other subjects, but believe me, that will change. :) I think it's just a spring/autumn lull. Though I'm glad to see that so many people are working on their writing.

GhostShell
March 21st, 2006, 03:58 PM
Thanks, kat, what i'm say though is to the members, as an idea that would keep things going even through the lull.
Everytime i post i check out two other critiques at least to see if i can lend a hand with some of the knowledge i have or have gleemed from everyone at this forum.

KatG
March 21st, 2006, 06:56 PM
Well that's very nice of you, and I'm sure it's appreciated. But the thing about the lulls is that they don't last long. For example, you've already helped kicked off some subject threads. :) Somebody inevitably asks a question, either out of idle curiousity or particular need. If you have a research question, for instance, chances are someone here knows stuff. (I've learned invaluable info about guns, for instance.)

The critiques, meanwhile, are a vital part of the forum and probably will remain so.

Leo
March 21st, 2006, 07:11 PM
i to also think that its a great idea, the balance has to be there or else it's a one way thing.