PDA

View Full Version : House of M review

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

kater
March 22nd, 2006, 01:06 PM
As a new little initiative we're trying out in the forums, we are creating threads about some of the reviews we do each week and seeing what people think of them and whether they agreed with our assessments. The most recent comic book review is the main storyline to House of M (http://www.sffworld.com/crevoff/9.html) and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to offer thoughts on it or on House of M itself (I know we have a thread already, sorry to be confusing :) )

Personally I thought it was quite enjoyable, although some of the other House of M titles were disappointing (I'll be trying to review them over the next few weeks) I liked the main storyline. I bought the Avengers disassembled trade at the same time and it really fitted together quite well. Given the penchant for the big two to create the stupidest ideas to change their universes, House of M seemed a little tame by comparison, yet worked for me because it wasn't as absurd a step.

Rob B
March 22nd, 2006, 01:25 PM
I had absolutely no interest in this crossover. Your review made me reconsider that, though.

Eventine
March 22nd, 2006, 05:52 PM
kater, generally I think the review is OK, although explaining what happens in the end is a bit spoilerific...

kater
March 22nd, 2006, 06:33 PM
So reviews without spoilers is preferable? I know it sounds obvious but they always seem vague when I write them that way :)

Eventine
March 22nd, 2006, 08:39 PM
It is for me at least. I tend to like a bit of a basic idea of the set up (i.e. the first half of the review), but not a blow-by-blow of the events.

Another thing that I just noticed is that there wasn't much mention of the art - really only a passing statement at the end. You could probably expand upon that a bit.

Overall though, I thought it was pretty well written.

(Don't worry - I used to chip rob about reviews as well:D )

kater
March 23rd, 2006, 06:52 AM
I'm not worried at all your being a great help :) I'm used to doing game reviews where you give a lot of detail, so atm I'm working out the best way to write good comic reviews and asking people who read them seems like the obvious way to go about it :D Having looked at the House of M review again it isn't great, what I was trying to say got lost as I basically told the whole story :D so less is more from now on I think :) One question I'd like to ask you, has the length of the reviews been ok so far? It's hard to know what is too brief and what is overdoing it.

Eventine
March 23rd, 2006, 09:41 PM
Length was OK, but I wouldn't go much longer.

kater
March 24th, 2006, 05:35 AM
That's great, I wasn't intending on writing any comic review that long again unless folks liked that length.