PDA

View Full Version : Night Watch

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

pgmatg
March 24th, 2006, 09:27 AM
There is a very good Russian Sci-Fi / Fantasy movie "Night watch (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1808640168)" in theaters now ("Lord of the Rings" meets "Prophecy"). Did anyone see it? The movie been out on DVD (http://www.geocities.com/rusatg/dvds2.htm) for some time, but since Fox bought all American distribution rights, they have mandated to stop making NTSC formatted dvds of it. The disk has been slowly disappearing from even Russian stores in America. And Fox kept postponing the release until recent limited release, while sequel "Day Watch" is already out in Russia on pal dvd (without subs only). Both installments beat American movies in Russia. And the studio is insisting on filming the 3rd part in English. Ain't US movie studios wonderful :rolleyes: But they did do a good job on making subtitles not a nuisance, but an enhancement

kron
March 24th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Ha! At last somebody mentions it:) I was trying to evoke some opinions 2 months ago. Very good movie. The sequal was not good though. Better effects but the plot was bad. But I was glad to finally see some film based on Lukianenko work. As I am a big fan of his.:rolleyes: And the films show completely different reality, totally different way of perception (I mean the Russian point of view or what I, as a foreigner, think it is).

Solaar
March 24th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Haven't seen it yet - waiting with baited breath thou cos it's out in a couple of weeks!

I hear the third film is in english thou.

Solaar
counting the days

Wulfa_Jones
March 25th, 2006, 05:18 AM
I downloaded this sometime last year having heard much about it and getting bored of waiting for the release.

I can't say I was that amazed, it was okay but heavily over hyped. It found the plot messy and it did seem to be a case of visuals over content.

kron
March 27th, 2006, 03:50 AM
Yeah, I can see the point in that. The main problem is they tried to stick to the original story from the book and they failed. In the book nothing is messy and the screenplay is just the first chapter. The whole plot is much bigger and complicated without being too perplexing at the end when everything is revealed. Having read the book several years ago, I too was confused by some parts in the movie.

Edit: Being a foreigner in an Eastern Europe country culturally related to Russia and the Slavonic culture, I was quite interested in seeing the reaction after the movie. What I get is there is something generally apealing to the natives here. It is not the plot but the atmosphere that counts. They see it as a fresh breeze after a long period of Hollywood cliches. Of course, there are those who oppose;)

Bitter Buffalo
April 5th, 2006, 12:49 PM
I saw it in the theater and i thought it was great. Very entertaining spin of the played out Vampire movie. Also the most innovative use of subtitles i have ever seen. Can't wait for "Day Watch" and I hope they don't go to english in the 3rd movie, the subtitles were that good. :D

shawxx
September 3rd, 2007, 03:44 AM
I like the novels better and am reading Day Watch. There're more details and meanings in the books. I think the movies weren't as interested in politics as the books were.

Wulfa_Jones
September 3rd, 2007, 10:50 AM
I do keep meaning to read the books, but the film did put me off. I'm sure I'll get around to them one day.

Phellim
September 4th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I had read the first book, and I told a friend of mine how good it was and recommended it to him - naturally he bought the DVD instead, which I then got to watch for free. I prefered the book personally.