View Full Version : Submission Guidelines

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Marius
March 26th, 2006, 09:58 AM
At the risk of reposting or incurring the wrath of more well-informed contributors to the world of aspiring (which is, at least, how I style myself)sci-fi witers, I was wondering if there are any rules or guidelines to which I have to conform myself when I submit my first story to this community. As you may have guessed, I am new here and since my stories tend to be on the longish side, I need to know if there is a maximum number of words to a story. If there is, I may have to split my story up into chapters, acts, parts, or what have you.
Please let me know (and stay on the lookout for my first submission!).

GhostShell
March 26th, 2006, 10:08 AM
First off DON'T SUBMIT IN HERE! Its a rule that there is a word limit for submitting in the forum.

Make a thread to mention it and ask for critque if you want it. Submit the work in the stories section (look to the task bar below the SFFWORLD title on the page, follow it and login to the community - orange button on the top-right-hand corner)

Splitting it up and posting a chapter at a time does help to pace it.:)

P.S if you want comments you have to ask for them in your SUMMARY most often.

Keeping an eye open for your work.
Chris.

P.S. to keep momentum going drop in and critique two other stories (follow threads on this forum for that) and drop a line in the threads so that people can see you've checked out their work, it may make them more inclined to check out yours. :)

Marius
March 26th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Thanks Chris, but fortunately I was already aware of how to post submissions. The fact that there was no mention anywhere of a maximum size made me wonder. It does sound to me like a good idea to submit stories in separate chapters to prevent them from becoming to tedious or discouraging.
I was just about to start reading up what has been submitted already, so tell me, do write too or do you just read? I might as well start off critiquing some of your stuff :)

Marius

GhostShell
March 26th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Run, hide, he's after me!!

Yeah i write too, i've learned alot from people here, most of all how to take constructive critisism, so i like to help out by critquing as well.

Look for the Thief and the Shadows if you're lookig for me, and leave and comment and rating would you, helps me to see how i'm reaching people. There's also a thread: "Critque and Input *_* wanted - new fantasy story". Its been inactive for a while, while i deal with a load of "quick edit" requests at work - media. So leave me some info if you would in my comments section and let me know when yours pops up.

Also take a look at Snowtear or The Traveler and Elven Strike, three of the best i've read so far and there are some other really good ones out there too.

Enjoy.
Chris.

KatG
March 26th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Marius, contact Hobbit by Instant Message, and he'll give you the low-down on what the guidelines and length limitations are in the story area.

Marius
March 26th, 2006, 04:09 PM
That was easier than I thought! Well, there it is. Go ahead and butcher me.

Marius
March 26th, 2006, 04:11 PM
By the way, how long does it take for a comment to appear? I submitted some earlier today, but they're not there yet.

kater
March 26th, 2006, 04:11 PM
A link to your work may help ;) Like this : http://www.sffworld.com/community/story/1388p0.html

The comments have now been processed :)

Marius
March 26th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Hmm, I see the summary to my first story has been cut from the promised 255 words to a whopping 45. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Marius
March 26th, 2006, 04:24 PM
The jury is asked to disregard the last statement. I should have noticed that there is maximum of 225 CHARACTERS. I'll have to keep that in mind too.