PDA

View Full Version : The Last Original Idea

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

GhostShell
March 27th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Do you ever think that one day we will run out of original ideas on this little planet of ours and just begin to tea-leaf (steal) ideas from other places and change them a bit?:confused:

I like to think that the world changes daily and new people with new perspectives come up with new ideas or new angles on old ones, but is it concievable that we may end up with the same ideas, plots, characters and storylines over and over again one day?:eek:

choppy
March 27th, 2006, 06:17 PM
In Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time, I remember that he talks about how scientists at the end of the ninteenth century believed there was nothing new to discover in science. This was just before the discovery of radiation.

I don't believe that we'll ever run out of ideas. I do believe however, that with the ever expanding size of the human population coupled with increased access to education, and increasing capability for the pursuit of intellectual interests, when new ideas are ready to be found, many people will stumble on them around the same time.

Also, the state of the world is not static. Society is constantly changing. One of the reasons people write is to pass on ideas to the next generation. Writing also allows us to explore old ideas in the context of present and future environments.

pigeonweather
March 27th, 2006, 10:49 PM
In Jorge Luis Borges' story, 'The Library of Babel' contains every possible book: "When it was announced that the Library contained all books, the first reaction was unbounded joy ... There was no personal problem, no world problem, whose eloquent solution did not exist - somewhere in the library."

The problem, though, was to find it, in that the Library was infinite and organized according to some mysterious, unknown principle.

Expendable
March 27th, 2006, 11:01 PM
There are very few new ideas. Sorry.

It's how you spin an idea. Take something out there and try it in a new way. Like there's this new idea for a soda bottle (http://www.yenra.com/beverages/programmable.html). It's filled with cola but also has these little blisters on top. Each blister contains a different flavor - cherry, lemon, lime, vanilla, plus a blister holding a shot of caffeine. 32 possible combinations of soda in one bottle. You get to choose what your drink tastes like and your store only has to stock one product for it all.

See?

It's also looking to see all the possible things that might happen with it. Will the manufacturer close the cherry cola line? Or convert it to make more programmable soda? How would vending machines change? Or would they? What will the competition do?

Michael B
March 27th, 2006, 11:43 PM
There are very few new ideas. Sorry.

It's how you spin an idea. Take something out there and try it in a new way.
Or look at a complete reversal of events. Example, I once read a story about a battle between a civlised army and a horde of bandits that was decided by single combat between the two leaders. The civilised commander won. However he had ordered his 2inC to send in the troops if he lost, ie cheat. I took the story, changed genre then wrote a tale about the civilised general losing the combat and so his 2inC sending the boys in. Needless to say the bandit general wasn't best pleased about some one breaking his oath, but that was a key part of the plot.

JWREmmett
March 28th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Seeing through your eyes is the reason to read your work.

Use old ideas, but see them differently.

whitesilkbreeze
March 28th, 2006, 09:13 AM
I think it is very hard, and very rare, for someone to come up with a genuinely original idea. Everything is influenced by something else. Once someone does come up with a genuinely new idea, we can follow it and think, 'Now why didn't I think of that? It seems so obvious.'

'New ideas' are usually old ideas presented in new packaging. Sometimes it seems like there's only so much packaging that can go around for only so many ideas, but it's there.

We just think we can't come up with genuinely new ideas because we haven't ventured beyond the borders of our current knowledge and imagination yet. It's an incomprehensible idea to push our knowledge even further unless you are one of those few individuals who can.

What's really important is what message your idea is saying to other people, though. :)