PDA

View Full Version : Need help with title of book . . .

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

chingutee
March 29th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Hi,

I read a book a few years back that I've been wanting to go over again, only I can't remember either its title or its authors (it was a collaboration). I do remember that it was part of a series.

This is what I can remember about its characters:

The main guy was a cyborg (due to an accident). He was the leader of a loose band of "misfits" with each having unique abilities to contribute to the group as a whole. I only remember two of these characters. One was the most serious of the group and acted almost as second-in-command while the other one was a species of human known for being obsessed with beauty --- so much so that the sight of anything they considered too ugly (fashion or otherwise) could make them faint. This guy was the most interesting of the characters. The serious one couldn't see the value of the beautilicious one because he was kind of flighty and very much a drama queen, but the leader knew queeny's worth as a part of the team and hoped that the serious one could see it someday.

Anyway, here's what I remember about the story and some scenes in the book:

Overall, I remember that the leader had to get himself sent to prison on purpose by accepting a bogus charge. There was a purpose behind it, can't remember what it was, but it had political implications that would effect another race of aliens that were known to be so peace-loving that they could be enslaved without even a little resistance (and so they were). He had to call together all members of his small team as they were all kind of doing their own things at the time. Eventually, the race of aliens are convinced to revolt and win back their freedom (something that the serious character later regretted because he felt it was this change in their mindsets that would destroy a big part of their culture), and the leader makes it out of prison just fine.

In one scene, beautilicious has to infiltrate some compound or other in order to gain access to a person (this person is a key part of the main plan being implemented by the groupies). To do this, he recruits the aid of a former student (on his planet, all members of society ---by a certain age --- are assigned some kind of teacher to learn a bunch of stuff from . . . mostly sexual stuff since pleasure is a big thing on their planet). The former student is some really popular and well-known actor, btw. Going on, beautilicious pretends to be a kind of "chef", but one that doesn't actually cook --- his talent lies in tasting food, then making them better by suggesting the right additional ingredients. The former student's job was to use his influence to push queeny's credibility as this all-famous chef. As things move on and queeny convinces even the incredibly skeptical head chef of his standing, he and his former student are eventually able to get their hands on their target and render him out of commission. I remember they dragged his body into a bathroom or something . . .

Another scene involved the serious guy having a heart-to-heart talk with the aliens about not allowing themselves to be subjected to tyranny. At first they remain unconvinced and only wish to hold onto their peacefullness, even if that meant their eventual eradication, but they eventually grasp onto the idea of fighting for their freedom. As I've mentioned earlier, the serious guy later regrets this, probably because he thought they could've been saved without changing their mindsets.

Anyway, that's what I got. I can also tell you that I'm pretty sure one of the authors was female while the other was male. As you can probably tell, the book was funny.

Please, if anyone knows what I'm talking about, do me this favor and give me its title and the names of its authors.

JJ_99uk
March 30th, 2006, 04:26 AM
It might possibly be Knights of Black Earth by Margaret Weis and Don Perrin - about a cyborg, first book of a trilogy. I say might, because I haven't actually read the book, but some of the characters you mentioned remind me of the characters in the Star of the Guardians trilogy by Weis that was set in the same universe....

JJ

Edit: here's the amazon link-
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0451454251/102-9525604-6332916?v=glance&n=283155
- see if it sounds familiar

chingutee
March 30th, 2006, 07:39 AM
It might possibly be Knights of Black Earth by Margaret Weis and Don Perrin - about a cyborg, first book of a trilogy. I say might, because I haven't actually read the book, but some of the characters you mentioned remind me of the characters in the Star of the Guardians trilogy by Weis that was set in the same universe....

JJ

Edit: here's the amazon link-
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0451454251/102-9525604-6332916?v=glance&n=283155
- see if it sounds familiar

You are exactly right! The book in the series I read was actually Hung Out which is supposed to be a sequel to Knights of Black Earth. I am so happy, thank you so much!