SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

mrwizard
March 29th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Has anyone read and/or seen the movie?

I saw it on TV once a long time ago and thought it was great but I was also sort of haunted by it...

I'm having trouble remembering the plot now, but I do remember those open fields with the electric lines in them that were really spooky.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks!

Bond
March 29th, 2006, 11:43 PM
The made for TV movie based on the Stephen King story? The one where a group of people are on an airplane and then everyone else vanishes? I don't remember the haunting powerlines although I know they were at an airport.

The premise of the story is excellent. Enjoyed it but some people don't, but I don't really know what problems other people have.

mrwizard
March 30th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Yup, that's the one. I remember the beginning and ending of it, but can't really remember what goes on in the middle (help!)...

Didn't it have something to do with people vanishing because they lost cabin pressure or something?

I thought it was a great story...Stephen King stuff sometimes freaks me out but I love it anyway!

Banger
March 30th, 2006, 08:45 PM
The people disappeared because

the plane goes through some interdimensional rift. The ones who didn't disappear are asleep at the time the plane goes through the rift. On the other side of the rift is an alternate universe with a deserted airport and in which some weird buzzsaw type monsters are "eating" reality. They get back on the plane and fly through the rift again to escape the monsters and go home. I think they decrease cabin pressure to lower the oxygen content, so that everyone passes out and won't disappear. One guy chugs air to keep awake so that the plane continues flying straight, in so doing sacrificing himself.

I haven't read the book, so I'm not sure about how it differs from the movie.

mrwizard
March 31st, 2006, 09:21 AM
wow, thanks banger...Quite a good synopsis.

Do you remember anything with the power lines?? That's what's really killing me- I can't remember if the power lines are associated with this movie or something else and it's driving me NUTS!!!

Wulfa_Jones
April 2nd, 2006, 08:37 AM
I've never read the book but I have seen the film version...

It's not bad, but it is a standard King tv movie fair. The plot is alright and the acting isn't awful but the CGI effects are shockingly poor.

Janos
April 2nd, 2006, 11:15 AM
I've never read the book but I have seen the film version...

It's not bad, but it is a standard King tv movie fair. The plot is alright and the acting isn't awful but the CGI effects are shockingly poor.
Yes, the acting wasn't awful, but it was pretty bad.....

I saw it years ago when they first showed it on TV, but I remember that at the end, they were all dancing around and were happy because people could see them again and every one of them forgot about the littleblind girl who was dying on the plane - the one who helped them get through the whole ordeal. And then the movie ended. :confused:

JohnShaft
April 4th, 2006, 01:36 PM
wow, thanks banger...Quite a good synopsis.

Do you remember anything with the power lines?? That's what's really killing me- I can't remember if the power lines are associated with this movie or something else and it's driving me NUTS!!!
Your recollection is correct. The best sequence of the movie starts when they're getting the plane ready to take off by refuelling it. While that's happening the buzzsaw-looing things, which are actually the visualisation of the past being eaten up to make way for the future, appear on the horizon. They cause the electricity pylons in the background to appear to be moving. As the buzzsaws get closer it becomes a race against time to take off before the land beneath their feet vanishes.
I consider it to be fairly decent for a TV movie, though it still has a lot of flaws. As mentioned the effects and acting could be better.

The Stephen King short story I *really* want made into a movie is called THE LONG WALK. Anyone who has read it will probably know why.

They were reported to be making a movie of another one of King's excellent short stories, THE MIST. But it seems to have been shelved for the moment.

mrwizard
April 5th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Wow, thanks everyone for the synopses!!!

I love the story - King does know best!! The powerline thing was killing me, so thanks for clearing it up.

What have you heard about The Mist?? I think taht would be really great!

JohnShaft
April 5th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Frank Darabont (who also wrote and directed King's THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION and THE GREEN MILE) was the man pushing to make it, and Direct it. There's no listing of it on his IMDB now though, so maybe it's been shelved.

I have yet to read King's THE CELL, but if it's like I've heard, THE MIST would be a far better choice. If you haven't read it it's basically the story of a group of people who band together in a supermarket to survive a mist that covers the land (and contains nightmare creatures). They find trouble not only from the Mist, but from each other. It really is an excellent story, and one of King's best. But at the moment I doubt if it will get made.