PDA

View Full Version : Need info on Star Wars trilogy/movies

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Mojo is me
April 1st, 2006, 09:15 PM
I got a new DVD player for Christmas (better late than never) and am re-purchasing some of my favorite movies in DVD format.

Question: Regarding the original Star Wars trilogy (New Hope/Empire/Jedi) I heard the DVD version is NOT quite the same as the original movies. How much difference is there? What percent of the movies are the same?

I'd really like to have the movies on DVd, but if it changes the feel of the films significantly, maybe I should just keep my VHS copies.

Would appreciate if anyone who has seen both the original movies and the DVD set could enlighten me. Thank you:o

Evil Agent
April 1st, 2006, 09:39 PM
George Lucas has altered the original three movies (Episodes IV, V, and VI), and unless you own original VHS copies without these changes, you will never see the original versions again. Lucas has firmly stated that the original movies no longer matched his vision of Star Wars, and he started changing/adding scenes when the movies were re-released in theatres around 1997. So this is pretty old news, the movies have been changed for nearly 10 years.

If you want them on DVD, you're just gonna have to accept the fact that they're a little bit different. The changes are mostly for the worse, but thankfully they are rather minor. Some of the changes are actually good (fixing up little problems). The worst, most horrible change, in my opinion, is the new musical number in Jaba's Palace (in Return of the Jedi). They also changed the awesome Ewok song from the finale of Jedi and replaced it with a terrible song. One of the better changes is that, in Empire Strikes Back (the only movie that had a different actor playing the Emperor), they've changed it so that it's Ian McDiarmid, the REAL Emperor actor, playing the small part.

The problem is that these new scenes contain glaringly obvious CGI effects that A) don't match the rest of the effects in the film, and B) are already very dated, considering they were mostly done in the late 90s.

Anyway, it's great if you own some original VHS. I would recommend taking VERY good care of them, or burning THEM onto DVD, because that's the only way you'll ever be able to watch the unaltered versions. Otherwise, like most people over the last 10 years, you'll just have to accept the changes (or swear off Lucas and Star Wars forever!). Personally, I own the DVDs, but I accepted a long time ago that Lucas has completely lost touch with his fans, and with reality in general. :)

Wulfa_Jones
April 2nd, 2006, 08:26 AM
Anyway, it's great if you own some original VHS. I would recommend taking VERY good care of them, or burning THEM onto DVD, because that's the only way you'll ever be able to watch the unaltered versions. Otherwise, like most people over the last 10 years, you'll just have to accept the changes (or swear off Lucas and Star Wars forever!). Personally, I own the DVDs, but I accepted a long time ago that Lucas has completely lost touch with his fans, and with reality in general

Good idea on the burning the VHS to DVD... I think I'm going to look into doing that. I've got the VHS versions of the orginal and the DVD releases of the tampered versions.

Shame Lucas won't release the orginal versions... maybe it will happen one day in the future... on whatever format we have then!

Mojo is me
April 4th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Thnaks for the help. If the changes are minor, I will probably put a DVD set on the to be bought list.

Janos
April 7th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Actually, the best quality you're probably going to find is the Definitive Edition Laserdisc set.

They were released in Widescreen Anamporphic format. If you can find them on eBay or borrow them from someone, that'll be the best quality you can find. You're still going to lose some signal quality. Even though Laserdiscs were digital, there weren't any digital outputs on the devices. If you hook up a Laserdisc player to your video capture card, you're still going to be transferring the digital signal through an analog bottleneck and then back to digital on your computer so you could burn it to a DVD.

However, it'll still be quite watchable. Kinda like a very high quality VHS tape. It'll probably be expensive to get the Definitive Laserdisc edition but you could always sell it on eBay to get your money back. Then you'd have a good quality, widescreen, DVD version of the original Trilogy. It'd take quite a bit of work, but it's doable :D

Janos
May 5th, 2006, 09:56 AM
No longer a problem.

It looks like they're finally going to release the originals!

They're going to be released this fall as special 2-disc editions. One disc having the remastered movie and a bonus disc having the originals. So, you're still going to end up paying for the craptacular versions to get the originals.

And I think it's a limited time offer, so if you don't get it in the few months it's available, I don't think they'll offer it again.

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/release/video/news20060503.html

ArthurFrayn
May 5th, 2006, 11:48 AM
It looks like they're finally going to release the originals!

Good news! And now I might finally buy them since VHS!