PDA

View Full Version : An introduction

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

warfitz45
April 5th, 2006, 11:07 PM
First, I'm new here... at least as someone who posts. I've been lurking for several months, mostly hitting various threads to focus myself on writing. I won't go into a biography but wanted to say hello and that I've enjoyed my time here.

I am a writer, published mostly in independent comic books (twice). I've also done quite a bit of editing (Honor Studios chief editor and has been given a verbal to edit a Phantom of the Opera adaptation by DB Pro - publishers of Jordan's New Spring, Martin's Hedge Knight, Fiest's Wood Boy, Williams' Burning Man ... you get the picture. LOTS of fantasy). I am currently working on my first novel, The Message, a fantasy novel set in a world more bronze age than dark ages. I have read most everyone in fantasy (at least to some degree), though some frustrate me when reading their work. To be politically correct, I won't name any of them :p . My influences are... well, I'm not sure. I need to ask someone else. Oh, one other thing... I'm a SLOW reader. Tend to do my reading on audio. Really sucks sometimes!

That's about it. Just wanted to chime in and say hello so no one thought I was a peeping tom!

Peace Be still,
warren fitzpatrick

JRMurdock
April 5th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Peeping Toms are always welcome, but it's nice to put a face to the peepers. Glad you decided to join in.

Feel free to post your progress in the 'progress' thread (it's sticky and always at the top). Sometimes putting your progress will get others to prompt you to move forward :)

So what got you to start writing a novel? Other than frustration?

warfitz45
April 6th, 2006, 12:05 AM
What got me to start writing a novel?

Not sure, really. I came at storytelling, at least in the formal sense, through the comics medium. One problem in telling stories in such a way - I don't draw well. That required me to find others to illustrate my vision, and though exciting when accomplished, required me to depend on them. I hated that for one of 2 reasons:

1. because I would have people get excited, decide to work on a story, and then have to back out. Honestly, it was often for good reasons but that didn't make the sting any less.

2. because most artists have ideas that they already want to illustrate (usually super heroes) and what they wanted from me is a storyteller's eye and editor's pen. This can be frustrating for reasons of its own because some would be an amazing artist who was a frustrated writer or a great storyteller who truly didn't need much from me. Both would be aggravating because if they were a frustated writer, they would want me to write... but do it like they wanted (I haven't figured out that mind-reading trick you see so often in comic books). If they were a great storyteller who wanted an editor... well, it is creatively...not all that much fun.

At one point, I had completely stopped writing due in large part to #2. I then met an artist at a comic convention who said to me, "Hey, so you're Warren Fitzpatrick. Nice to finally meet the writer that never writes."

Dagger. Heart. Ouch.

But he had a point (and for the record, he was one of the #2 artists I worked with and a major reason why I stopped to begin with). BUT he DID have a point.

The next time I met him, I had about 25K to 35K words of my novel drafted.

I truly believe I've been blessed with a gift. I can use it, or I can bury it. I feel that at the very least I should use it and see where it goes. So far, I've put about 80K words down of the novel and it seems to be doing well. In writing circles, I've made some great friends who are wonderful and willing to give me a helping hand (Eldon Thompson, a new published writer of The Crimson Sword, has been a God-send) as well as the guys from my comic work (Sean Jordan from DB Pro, Duane Perry from Honor Studios).

I still love working in a visual storytelling medium like comics. As I said, I'm editor and frequently do a bit of writing for Honor Studios (though the main creator is a pretty solid storyteller in his own right... with him, I very much have the role of an editor and not a primary creator).. But prose is an animal that requires me to feed it. If I make progress, its by my hands. If I drop the ball, it's by my hands. I like that feeling.

I guess in a nutshell, I'm a power-hungry Galactus (to quote a Marvel comics character). And I kill of nearly as many people in my writing to boot :) !

As for progress, the best gauge I have is my wife and primary 'reader' of the novel. If I go too long, they let me know, and to be honest, the only time I go too long is when time is REALLY short. I'm not a writer who waits for any "magical muse". I'm one that types the crap out and realizes that I can come back tomorrow and clean it up.

But I need to check the progress thread out... never bothered to look at that one. It might be more helpful than I would expect.

wf