View Full Version : OK, I give up!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Glelas
April 7th, 2006, 09:19 AM
I can't write. I have come to that conclusion. I sit day in and day out staring at a blank piece of paper. Some days I just brainstorm for hours so I can at least see words on the page. Every solar eclipse I actually follow a thread and try to create an opening if the idea warrants it or a scene, or some dialogue, whatever. A few pages of pure dribble gets written and I am again frustrated. I am frustrated cause the writing is just rotten. I take the "editor" hat off and just write. Just to keep going I may not even have complete sentences, just thoughts for a character's particular action or feeling etc. At times the sentences are just juvenile. My vocabulary is awful and I have no good ideas. That's all...just a small rant - I am done.

Blue Tide
April 7th, 2006, 11:46 AM
From your post, looks like you write just fine.

The times that I write the best and enjoy it the most is when I stop thinking about writing well, or worry about a plot, and instead just transcribe what comes out of my imagination.

So, forgive me for sounding like Morpheus, but I suggest you stop trying to write and just write.

It sounds like you have the passion. Let the words flow from that. Revise it later..

My $0.02..

mrwizard
April 7th, 2006, 12:05 PM
I would like to chime in here with the usual "writer's block is completely normal..." Stick with it. Find encouragement somewhere: set goals, or go somewhere new to write, or get friends to read some of your old work and provide new suggestions for more stuff.

You'll get into it eventually.

Dazzlinkat
April 7th, 2006, 01:30 PM
You cant give up!! I did that for three years and, believe me, it stank. Take the bits and peices you have already written and mix them together. Dont write them as one yet, just visualize how these random thoughts could go together, like a puzzle. If you can figure out how to get two to fit together, write it as a clump and toss it back into the mix. Keep on doing that till you can no longer link things together. Now you have a base for at least one story. Jot down a rough idea of the complete story from beginning to end. This can be a rough outline for a more detailed and better write latter. Once you get that done, you can go back and edit it. go tohttp://www.thesaurus.reference.com

you will find lots of ways to break out your vocabulary and such. I use it alot, too :)

mrwizard
April 7th, 2006, 02:28 PM
those are awesome tips, dazzlinkat!!

this (http://www.rhymezone.com/) is also a really cool site, if you want to check it out to help with your wording, etc...

good luck :D

JWREmmett
April 7th, 2006, 03:55 PM
It feels like a lot of work, so.... Make it play. Write for yourself.

Prepare to have something to say....

GhostShell
April 7th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Sounds to me like you are a writer cause we all get those times: Sometimes they can be short, sometimes they can last years.

But it sounds to me like you may need to give it some time, 4 years on and things are only starting to come together for me. So i know some of how you feel.

It sounds like you'd be well suited for Co-writing, because it seems like you can comeup with ideas and hell even i enjoy making the characters better than working them at times.

There are methods - like the snowflake method, there are diagrams (per say) that can be followed to get your thoughts in order, maybe your thoughts are just too busy for you to be able to just sit back and think clearly.

Hey, we all write drivel from time to time, i have it on good authority that even the best do it. (hell david eddings spent 40 years before he finally got his head in the right place to do it.)

I think you would be greatly suited for TV or VG (video games), Spit-balling with several minds at once could be great for you and could be a niche for you.

You may be able to focus more clearly if there's someone there to help with that part of your creative process, so co-writing could work.

Don't give it up, write drivel for the next 6 months, maybe you'll spot something that connects with you and can help you find the proper thread or maybe you're better suited for fully planning out a story before writing it.

Everyone can write, some are good and some are bad. Unfortunately some just aren't suited but if you just lay there after stumbling at the obstacles then you are only proving that you don't have what it takes SO GET UP AND WRITE UNTIL IT WORKS and hey, we're always here if you need a hand, someone to chat to or just someone to listen. MOST IF NOT ALL OF US HERE KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

AND IF YOU WEREN'T A WRITER, IT WOULDN'T BE IMPORTANT ENOUGH FOR YOU TO BE WORRYING THIS MUCH, YOU ARE A WRITER PURE AND SIMPLE, AND YOU'LL HIT MORE THAN ONE HARD TIME BUT EVERYONE WOULD BE DOING IT IF IT WERE EASY.

Keep at it, we'll be here if you need us.

Expendable
April 7th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Stop trying to write the Great American Novel.

Identify what you're having problems with.
If you have a problem starting at the begining, why not work instead from the middle?

Start small. Write a short story. Great market for short stories.
Write about a moment in your day.
Write about something you like to do.
Join one of the threads in the Collaborative Stories (http://www.sffworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30) forum.
Grab a book by your favorite author and see how they wrote their story.
Is there a writer's group in your area?
Go to different places and try writing there.
Notice what's going on around you. Save the interesting bits for your stories.
Try doing some exercise before you write, it'll help with stress.

Set aside a certain time each day to write.
Spend the first 5-10 minutes writing down whatever is in your head.
Take a deep breath.
Start a new page.
Write your story.

visualfoundry
April 8th, 2006, 12:23 AM
I'm going to parrot some of the earlier comments that have been made on this, but I feel it's appropriate. I've found that most of the time my writer's block is self imposed. I tend to put too much pressure on myself at times, often by telling myself "You need to get this done by April Xth!" or "You need to identify the main plot and climax before you write any detail!" Over time I'm learning that those sentences only serve to inhibit my creative process. My writing tends to mimic a dam breaking; If I can get a trickle to start, it will soon become a flood. In the past I've often tried to organize my ideas before actually thinking of them. Very few can do that any better than they can shoot a basketball before it's passed to them. You need raw material first.

kater
April 8th, 2006, 07:18 AM
I'm going to suggest something utterly different - stop writing. Writing has always been a struggle for me, for whatever reason I can't write consistently and so get really frustrated. I've found that if I stop writing when it gets bad, the itch to write comes back at some point even if only for a short time. I honestly believe you can't force it and that either the urge/desire to write will come back or it won't, but there's no point beating yourself up over it in the meantime.