View Full Version : Software Grammar Checking

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

visualfoundry
April 9th, 2006, 04:25 AM
I was hoping I could get some opinions regarding just how much faith I should be putting in the MS Word grammar tool. It has been highlighting some sentences that I feel read just fine, and I'm hoping that maybe it's just a case of the grammar tool just not knowing everything.

-VF

Mathain
April 9th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Is it set on Casual English, or Formal?

visualfoundry
April 11th, 2006, 05:14 AM
In my five years of using MS Word, I never noticed that a difference existed. I'm sure it does. but I'm having a heck of a time finding it. I have the MS Office XP Pro suite that was bundled with a 2001 Dell Dimension. If someone can give me a bit of info on how I should set up my grammar preferences, it'd be greatly appreciated. It would seem that my version of Word gives me far more options than just casual or formal English.

-VF

Expendable
April 11th, 2006, 03:15 PM
In MS Word, from the Tools menu select 'options'. Click on the Spelling & Grammar tab. Under the dropdown box for Writing Style should be a button called "Settings...". Click on the button.

You'll then see all the grammar and style options.

visualfoundry
April 11th, 2006, 03:17 PM
I've tweaked a couple things here and there. Guess we'll see if that does it. I don't know why I'm even worried about it - isn't that an editor's job? :)

Rocket Sheep
April 11th, 2006, 09:10 PM
So you want to be a writer and not learn grammar?

Did you ever want to be a brain surgeon and not learn how to use a scalpel too?

I keep waiting for your smiley to wink.

visualfoundry
April 11th, 2006, 11:20 PM
hehe, I wondered after posting that if someone might not take it too literally.

And as far as smilies go, I'm so used to just using the standard :) in MMO's that I tend to forget others even exist

Rocket Sheep
April 12th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Well, that statement was a little too OUT THERE to be taken seriously so I had to give you the benefit of the doubt...

altho...

... there are a lot of these bizarre writing courses going where tutors convince anyone that they can write a novel (sometimes in under 25 days) and become rich without learning a thing about writing beforehand (or ever having even READ a novel before in some cases)... so you could've been one of these super course graduates*!

*Feel free to insert the words "dreamer", "sucker", or "pathetic fool" into the sentence where "super course graduate" appears.

Dark_Sumerian
April 16th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Well, that statement was a little too OUT THERE to be taken seriously so I had to give you the benefit of the doubt...

altho...

... there are a lot of these bizarre writing courses going where tutors convince anyone that they can write a novel (sometimes in under 25 days) and become rich without learning a thing about writing beforehand (or ever having even READ a novel before in some cases)... so you could've been one of these super course graduates*!

*Feel free to insert the words "dreamer", "sucker", or "pathetic fool" into the sentence where "super course graduate" appears.

yeah I would never fall for something that. I rather make 10,000 USD a month for 3 hours a day of work from the comforts of my own home. All I have to do is write some guy a check! :D

visualfoundry
April 16th, 2006, 08:34 PM
I assure you I'm not the product of one of the aforementioned courses... my sarcasm just didn't come through well in type. :)

An addition, I have to tell someone... I just won a scholarship for my short story "The Ragman". That was the first time I've ever submitted anything to any type of contest, and I did so with the idea that I'd not likely hear anything back. When I got the phone call from the judging committee, I was jumping around my apartment like a little girl. Minor successes like that are enough to keep me writing.