PDA

View Full Version : Okay, could someone explain to me just what Pink Floyd's "The Wall" is about. PLEASE!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Zsinj
April 9th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Okay, I watched about 90% of Pink Floyd's The Wall movie on Fuse about a week ago, which is a channel I normally consider pure garbage, but I heard the Wall was an interesting movie, so I tuned in. Okay, so the soundtrack was great, the animation was awesome, but the movie was just plain nuts! It made very little sense to me. It's like you have to be on acid to understand it! :eek: All I got out of it was some evil school turning kids into zombies and then putting them through a meat grinder, some nutzo guy forming a Neo-Nazi-type group, and some animated scenes of what appear to be a post-apocalyptic wasteland filled with monsters and some whacko evil judge. Were Pink Floyd high when they made this film? Could someone here please explain this film to me, before I go nuts?!! :confused:

Hobbit
April 9th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Well......

The film pretty much follows the story of the CD.

Pink is a rockstar whose lifestyle excesses lead to a mental breakdown. The cause of his pain comes from various causes - the death of his father in WW2, his overprotective mother, his bullied education & school life, his failed love life due to his self imposed isolation and inability to build emotionally satisfying relationships, as well as his general inability to confront conflict and emotion. He instead builds a wall around himself (metaphorically) to protect him from all these problems. Unfortunately his increased isolation from real life and his rock star lifestyle leads him to attempt to commit suicide and ultimately in his drug addled dreams to see himself on trial, where his life both past and present is reviewed.

The neoNazi imagery is a shocking possibility of how his life could be.

The end of the album (and the film) is a little more positive, whereby Pink (Roger Waters) realises that in order to participate in the real world he must confront his fears and emotions and tear down the wall he has built around himself.

OK?

Hobbit

ArthurFrayn
April 9th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Concision manifest, Hobbit!! :D

Hobbit
April 9th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks Arthur. :)

It's a bit like trying to explain a soap opera that's been on TV for twenty years in twenty words....but it does make more sense listening to it.

Very depressing but more sense. :D

Actually as Pink Floyd goes it's not one of my favourites. The story behind the making of the album/CD and the film are very interesting though.

There are moments of sublimity, though - mainly due to David Gilmour's guitar IMO.

Hobbit

ArthurFrayn
April 9th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Actually as Pink Floyd goes it's not one of my favourites.

Nor mine. Sharing the opinion of several of the other members of Pink Floyd, Roger Waters does seem to want to write about the same thing, again and again and again. :rolleyes:

I like early Floyd leading up to Dark Side, and then Animals is the only album I like after that. And that has a lot to do with Gilmour's guitar.

I also kind of hate the way Waters caterwauls, and he is at his worst on The Wall.
IMO,natch. ;)

Hobbit
April 9th, 2006, 06:37 PM
LOL. Yes, Roger had by the time of The Wall effectively sacked Rick Wright and just wasn't listening to the rest of the band.

For me, I'm afraid I am very predictable and think that like many many other people Dark Side and Wish you were here are about as good as they get, though Echoes is for me another fave.

Animals was one I just couldn't get, though there are little bits I like. Very disappointed by that one, I was. But friends loved it. :)

Hobbit

Evil Agent
April 10th, 2006, 03:02 AM
:eek: Hobbit, you should really give Animals another chance! It's one of their best, up there with Darkside of the Moon and Wish You Were Here for sure! It's definitely darker, and the songs are very long, but there are only a few of them. I think of it as a sort of evil twin of Wish You Were Here...:)

Were Pink Floyd high when they made this film?Is this a joke, Zsinj? :) (Pink Floyd were pretty much high when they made everything!).

Hobbit
April 10th, 2006, 04:56 AM
Hobbit, you should really give Animals another chance!
I have it and do, Evil! :) (In fact I have all of the Floyd albums on CD now, most of them in very cute little vinyl album versions but CD size...)

You see, I keep trying it because I know there's something in there that I should like... and like you say, Evil, I can see why I should like it.... I have friends who say exactly as you have. And I like Rick's electric piano bit, and some of Gilmour's guitar playing is his best, and the baseline on Sheep....

But I play it again and again.... and still find that I prefer Dark Side and Wish better.

I know Roger Waters was very disappointed by such a reaction when Animals came out. I guess I must still be one of the 'still don't get it' group.

Mark / Hobbit

Evil Agent
April 10th, 2006, 10:28 AM
But I play it again and again.... and still find that I prefer Dark Side and Wish better.Well it is pretty hard to top those! :) Dark Side is my personal favorite.

Dawnstorm
April 10th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Hm, I still like them the best under Syd Barrett. :D But I also quite like the record that contains "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun".

I'm amazed how much sense Hobbit managed to extract from the Wall.

Zsinj, may I interest you in:

Tommy (the Who/Ken Russel). Or Ken Russel's Lisztomania? :p