PDA

View Full Version : seeking info on 19th century fantasy fiction

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

andrianou
February 6th, 2000, 08:24 PM
I am interested in 19th century British fantasy fiction but. living in Greece, my access to libraries and secondhand bookstores is limited. Have you got any suggestions?

symbolhunter
August 29th, 2011, 06:21 AM
I notice that your post was made some time ago, but perhaps others as well might be interested in the following:

An excellent anthology is Beyond the Looking Glass: Extraordinary Works of Fairy Tale and Fantasy, London, Hart-Davis, 1973, 0 246 10810 X.

This includes "Novels and Stories form the Victorian Era".
The Four Novels are:

The King of the Golden River . .John Ruskin
Petsetilla's Posy . . . . . . . . . . Tom Hood
Wanted--A King . . . . . . . . . . Maggie Brown
Tinykin's Transformations . . . . Mark Lemon

There are five stories: "Wooden Tony" by Mrs Clifford, "Through the Fire" and "The Wanderings of Aramon" by Mary di Morgan, and "The Golden Key" and "The Day Boy and the Night Girl" by George MacDonald.

The concluding piece is the great poem, The Goblin Market by Christina Rossetti {with wonderful illustrations by Laurence Housman {the brother of the poet}. In fact all of the works are beautifully enhanced with both colour and black and white period illustrations.

There are two introductions; an extended piece by Jonathan Cott and a shorter one by Leslie Fiedler. Fiedler's is a bit dated as it was written before the Cottingley Fairy photos were finally shown to be schoolgirl hoaxes. It's interesting nonetheless.
I got my edition when it was first released. I suspect that you might get a copy in a major library in Greece or through ABE books. If you can find a copy through ABE at a reasonable price it is very much worth having. I've got hours of pleasure from it.