View Full Version : Looking for a title/author

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Archren
April 11th, 2006, 01:31 PM
My husband is curious about this one:

He read this short story in Analog more than 15 years ago. It involved some sort of instantaneous travel (wormhole or hyperspace or something). People had to be knocked unconcious before they could go, because while your body traveled through in less than a second, the brain (disconnected from bodily sensation), experienced the full light-speed duration of the voyage, so if you were awake, you arrived completely insane. (E.g., you want to go to Alpha Centauri. Your body arrives in well under a second, but your brain experiences 4 years, because it's 4 light years away. 4 years of complete isolation & sensory depreivation = insanity).

Any hints?

Measure
April 11th, 2006, 03:06 PM
I've read that story, and I -think- it was in a book of hugo-award winning short-stories. So that may be a place to start looking.

ArthurFrayn
April 11th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Sounds like Common Time by James Blish.

Ward
April 11th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Almost positive this is a Larry Niven story, I'll go dig around in my anthologies and see what I can come up with.

Damn, I know I've read this as a kid and it really stuck with me...except for where I read it and who wrote it :) I checked my Niven stuff and nothing stood out, now I'm trying to figure out what else I had read around the same time. I definitely saw it in an anythology, so we are working with established authors.

I just checked Common TIme and that isn't it, assuming we are talking about the same thing, my best recollection:

Focus on a family in a waiting room for a wormhole or warp tunnel transport site, basically an airport, people going around giving either injections or pills to knock people unconcious, a kid fakes being unconcious and comes out the other end frighteningly insane.

Of the anthologies I owned and read at the time I read this (15 yrs plus ago) I would say it was either Niven (which I couldn't verify) or possibley a story from Piers Anthony's Anthonology (anyone have this to check?).

fredcs451
April 14th, 2006, 06:28 PM
He wrote a short story where a boy didn't take the knock-out drink and woke up insane.

Archren
April 14th, 2006, 07:46 PM
My husband says that it's definitely the one where there's a family and the boy fakes being asleep and goes insane. So we've certainly narrowed it down. So does anyone have an anthology so we can figure out if it's Niven, King or maybe Anthony for the author?

fredcs451
April 14th, 2006, 07:50 PM
It was in a King book of short stories-Skeleton Crew- or something like that. I almost have the stories name in my old head. "The Jaunt". That's it.

Archren
April 15th, 2006, 01:15 AM
We have a winner! There's a good synopsis at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jaunt_%28Stephen_King%29). My husband says that's the one.

Thanks everyone!

Ward
April 15th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Excellent, I never thought of King even though I read a lot of his shorts around that time. I think I'd better go pick up Skeleton Crew again!