PDA

View Full Version : LCD Monitors and Gaming

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Bond
April 15th, 2006, 01:02 AM
I wanted to move my computer into my bedroom but was concerned about the possible health effects of the electro-magnetic radiation emitted by my CRT (cathode ray tube) monitor. So I decided to take the plunge and get a LCD monitor and it looks great! Much better than the older LCDs I used to see before. After just a week with the LCD I don't know what I was doing with a CRT monitor. It looks more attractive, takes up less space, uses less energy, is easier to move around, and is less of a health and environmental concern. What's there not to like beyond the slightly greater but now much more reasonable expense? Okay so the screen is somewhat more fragile but what else?

Thing is I don't know what the drawbacks are for games. I think I read before that there were some issues but I'm not sure if those concerns are still relevant to the new LCDs that have come out which now have brighter and crisper images and faster refresh times. Are there any drawbacks that remain?

saintjon
April 15th, 2006, 02:51 PM
I wouldn't know bond but you make a pretty good case for lcds is all I've gotta say.

Edthebestest
April 15th, 2006, 05:14 PM
I've never been convinced that CRT are that much of a medical hazard, but I wont jibe you for that, it's completely your own oppinion in that respect.
The only real issues still with LCD are the response timings, CRT is pretty much the best for games, because their isnt really any kind of response time between information for the projection, and the changing of the pixel colour. But with LCD there has been, however, saying that, the problems with response timings have been vastly improved, you can now pick up a monitor that has a response time of as little as 2ms, but that's at the top end of the market. So like you said, that isn't really an issue except for some fast moving images that will look a bit blurry possibly.
LCD monitors also have a native resolution, and sometimes changing the resolution can result in a slightly blurry picture, but that's worse case scenario.
Anyways, the main thing is, unless you have an extremely top notch computer, and are willing to spend alot of money on a top range CRT, you are very well off with an LCD, they are pretty much more advantageous than CRT's now, and they are improving all the time.
Put simply, your fine with your new LCD, just some of us don't have the cash to buy one, and so are stuck with a good old CRT :(
Hope that answers you question;)

Redpred
April 16th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I got a LCD when i got my current pc (about 6 months ago). I have a samsung with a 4ms respone time and i have noticed no problems at all playing many games, everything for UT2k4, to counter strike to Rome Total war, no problems at all. I also think the image is much crisper than on my old crt but thats just my own opinion.

It definatly doesn't hurt my eyes as much after long periods of use as my crt used to either. I'd reccomend anyone to get one, just read a few reviews of the one your looking at to make sure its up to scratch for games or whatever else ya want it for!

kron
April 17th, 2006, 02:31 AM
And I am the perfect example that there's something wrong with the LCD's:( I was thinking of buying one when I got my laptop at work. Then the nightmare began! I can't tell what it is actually. My eyes dry and swell as if I have kidney problems, the skin around them peels off... terrible!!! I don't have the slightest problem with my CRT at home. I stay infront of it for more than 12 hours and nothing.

The only explanation I've heard is that the LCD's have this different back light which is bad for the eyes. You don't notice it but the eye does. I'm glad I got this laptop at work and discovered I had problems before buying a LCD for myself at home. I stick with the CRT's as much as possible before they get obsolete.

Edthebestest
April 17th, 2006, 06:22 AM
That sounds pretty bad... and I've not heard of it before.
I wouldn't give up just yet if you really want an LCD monitor, LCD displays for laptops are built to different specs than stand alone monitors, so if you hunt around you may be able to find one that doesn't have that kind of back light.
But CRT's are just as reliable and good if you don't have the time to find a non-lethal LCD :o

kron
April 17th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Yeah, I've heard that Sony are working on some kind of LCD which will imitate paper. All the LCD's have that "backlit" feature and that's the main reason the e-books to not be popular. There aren't good screens for those personal pads you can read on (I don't remember how they are called).

Anyway, I hope Sony will come up with it sooner than the CRT's going out of use. I will not venture spending money on a screen I can't use safely.