PDA

View Full Version : New New Doctor.... New Doctor Who, Second Season [SPOILERS!]

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Hobbit
April 15th, 2006, 06:33 PM
The second series of the revamped Doctor Who series started this evening in the UK, with an episode called 'New Earth'.

It was David Tennant's second show after The Christmas Episode: The Christmas Invasion

It was also a Russell T Davies episode, which may be a cause of celebration or misery depending on your view of the First Series. :)

So: what did you think?

Hobbit

Solaar
April 16th, 2006, 04:48 AM
I prefer Tennant to Eccleston - I thought the highlight of last night was when Cassandra had taken over his body - class acting.

It still feels a little too much like a soap-opera, and I'm just waiting for a real "Queer as Folk" storyline to pop-up...

All in all, I'm just glad it's back on the screen - but he better do something good with the Cybermen!!

Solaar
waving the banner

magze
April 16th, 2006, 03:24 PM
It was pretty good but I still prefer Eccleston

Hobbit
April 16th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Ok, Magze - any ideas why?

I actually think Tennant is very good, and will evolve into the part. He's a bit more lively than Ecclestone, which will be enjoyed by some and disliked by others. More talkative, more energetic - different, just as a Doctor should be from the previous one IMO. And of course part of this could be due to the regenerated Doctor settling into his new body.

I thought it was very good to see him change from friendly and light to nasty in the space of two sentences - HOW MANY, indeed. That's what a Doctor needs. Ecclestone also did this very well.

For what it's worth, the Hobbit household gave Tennant the thumbs up.

I just have (more) issues with the script (again) myself. :)

Hobbit

magze
April 16th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Why do I prefer Eccleston?More a case i've grown used to him and David Tennant will probably grow on me.
my problem with this episode was Cassandra, the complete change in her attitude to death at the end sort of put me off.I loved the way she took over other bodys,when she took over The Doctor that was classic, but I still didn't like the way she accepted death at end

Solaar
April 17th, 2006, 04:43 AM
Yep, it's the script that lets it down, but if you check out the Newsround site:

HERE (http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_4910000/newsid_4913900/4913954.stm)

the kids ahev a lot of good things to say. Maybe that's the target audience they're looking for now?

Solaar
the big kid

[ADMIN EDIT: FIXED link there. Hobbit]

Hobbit
April 17th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Well, it has always been seen as 'a children's show'; but the impression I get from Doctor Who Confidential is that they see it now as a programme for the whole family to watch.

The Script: (I'll keep it brief): amongst a few other things, my main gripes were: yes, agree with Magze there; not sure whether women would recognise a chav in the year 8 billion, making the line "I'm a chav!" redundant; thought the solution was too simple.

Hobbit

kahnovitch
April 17th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Eccleston was mad sometimes as the Doctor and came across as quite manic/depressive.
Tennant has emulated some of Eccleston's mannerisms and seems to be trying to follow in his footsteps with a similar idea of who the Doctor is.

Tennant is okay but Eccleston had a real dark menacing side to him at times, which I don't think Tennant can pull off.

Leiali
April 17th, 2006, 01:43 PM
I felt the first episode wasn't as strong as the Christmas special, but I guess it had to tick a few boxes and settle us all in. I also felt like Solaar, that the target audience was a little younger this time round than previous episodes in the last series. Though, I don't know if anyone reads the Guardian, but Charlie Brookers Screenburn suggested that the first episode was just warming up and that we have greater things to look forward to.

I think like Hobbit, I concentrated more on the script in this first episode than how David Tennant was doing as the new Doctor, seeing as I'd already seen him in the Christmas Special and the tone in this episode was so different....it seemed all about the writing. I didn't think he was particularly bad, just different, but I think I will formulate an opinion once I've seen more of him in action.

fluffy bunny
April 22nd, 2006, 03:37 PM
The second episode was much better than the 1st one (which I felt was missing something with regards to the script).

Dr Who vs the big bad wolf :cool: . Despite some iffy CGI (I wonder what this would have looked like with one of the BBC's cool rubber suits :rolleyes: ) the scenes with the wolf running amok were executed well, adding to the tension. I can imagine a lot of youngsters hiding begind the sofa.

'Bad wolf' were the buzzwords in the previous season. Now Torchwood seems to be becoming the unifying theme.

Good episode. I'm curious what some of the other writers can come up with.