View Full Version : Help???

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Final07
April 18th, 2006, 07:25 PM
I'm trying to complete my world for various works I'm planning on doing, but I am having trouble working out a few kinks. I am hoping someone will have a solution to my questions.

First, I've decided to create a huge planet, with three times the gravity of Earth, and like any different planet the surface is different. Thick ground mists seperate seven mega-continents (these aren't continents of land, but land and water divided by the mist). My question is, how do I justify the mist being there? This is purely sci-fi, I can't just make up that some god did so and so, so I'm asking some more knowledgeable people than me for some help.

Second, my planet is surrounded by three moons and rotates around three stars(blue giant=farthest away, white dwarf=closest, and sunlike green star=about the distant the sun is from Earth, so overall, the white is the closest, then the green, then the blue), my question is, how does this change the seasons?

Thanks for any solutions put in by anyone. Thanks.:)

Dazzlinkat
April 18th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Consider your 'mists' to be a heavy gas. For instance Argon, which is also a noble gas (inert). It is occassionally used as a buffer for this reason. Or, the mist could be deuterium (heavy hydrogen) this could lead to 'heavy water' which could lead to special or unique qualities to the inhabitants, or reasons why they seek the mist.

Dazzlinkat
April 18th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Blue stars are the hottest stars with the lifespan of between 10,000 to 100,000 years before exploding into a super nova. Tendrils of nebulous blue star matter will drift away from the blue giant.. This star would outshine the other two. A white dwarf would be almost invisible, as it gives off very little light or heat. However, it is EXTREMELY dense so when it is the prominant (closest) star, it could influence tides and tectonics shifts. Your continents might move more radically through the mists and there would be more quakes or volcanic action. There are no green stars, so you can give this one whatever properties you want. Maybe it is unique in that it rejuvenates your blue star, keeping it alive beyond the usual short lifespan of giants.

All three of your stars would rotate around each other, its the nature of stars. Consider a figure 8 on the top is the white dwarf and the bottom would be the blue giant. Following the figure 8 pattern between these two stars would be your green normal sized star. Green and blue make purple. So, the cooler time of year would be when only the blue star was prominant, like spring and fall. The hottest parts of the year would be when the blue and green shown together, making a purple sunlight. And the coldest time, when the invisible white dwarf would be prominant, wreaking its havok. The blue would still shine but it would be farthest from the world then. Also, your planet orbits the stars so even if your three stars orbit each other extremely slow, each one will be prominant sometime during the year. You could also have the blue and white star be binary stars, as close as they get to each other, with the green star orbiting them.

mondauthor
April 18th, 2006, 10:13 PM
The heat from three suns could keep a body of water in a constant state of heavy evaporation. Thus the mist. But then you would need a source of water, like rain, to replace the heavy evaporation rate. Underwater volcanic activity can also cause a constant source of mist and I think that would be better since the mist itself would block the rays of any sun from penetrating to the water and heating it in the first place. Check out the clouds of Venus for the composition of a constant cloud cover.

Seasons are caused by the tilt of a planet and its path around its star, if your planet isn't tilted, then there are no seasons. Tilts are thought to be caused by large collisions during planet formation as are moons.

Unless your writing a hard science fiction novel, like "Ringworld", explaining all aspects of an environment are not necessary, but that environment will be motivation for characters at times.

I think nature has devised environments beyond scientists ability to predict, so anything goes! That triple full moon might be very romantic, with different colors of moons depending upon which sun they are reflecting. I think beings on this planet will be short, squat, thick, hippo-like beings due to the gravity. Even the plants might not grow very tall. No trees for fruit to hang from, but maybe the fruit grows in the soil like a potato, or hangs from the root system of the plant inside a cave.

World building with authenticity can be very research intensive, but it need not necessarily be justifiable based upon what man knows of science or meteorology. Imaginations rule!

choppy
April 18th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Generally it's better to start with the physics and derive a world, versus starting with a world and hoping the physics work out.

Having three stars would put give you a three body problem. My understanding is that the blue giant would be tremendously larger (both in volume and mass) than the others. The white dwarf and "green" star would both have about the same mass - in the ball park of that of our sun. A blue giant would have significantly more mass. Therefore it's likely the other two would orbit around it like planets. Considering the luminosity from the blue giant would be about 6 orders of magnitude more than our sun, your planet would have to be pretty far away from it to have any kind of light similar to what we see on earth. One idea for seasons might be considerably different from those that we experience - physics wise anyway. Consider something like an eclipsing binary. One of you smaller suns crosses in front of the blue giant causing an eclipse. If you set up your orbits properly you might be able to generate a kind of "eclipse winter" that occurs on a perioding basis, based on the revolutions of one of the suns.

With respect to the problem of mist between the continents, at first I was thinking you were going to have a problem having a low density gas displace a higher density liquid. But you could argue that the moons have strong enough gravity that they create substantial tides. Where the tide is low, you could have the heavier than air mist move in. Now a sailor on this world would likely just see this as sailing into the mist, rather than water ending and mist beginning, but if its an inert gas (as indicated above) it wouldn't be breathable, and be likely to suffocate him. If you create a static tide, this might cause the effect you're looking for.

Cheers!

Final07
April 21st, 2006, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the all the solutions! I think I'm going to work this out after all. I'm going to have to read a few books about the nature of stars, and the relationships they will be have with a planet.:mad: Anyone got any suggestions?

Merancapeman
April 21st, 2006, 07:38 PM
Whew. Don't be dissapointed when I say this, but you have some work cut out for you (stating the obvious. Go ahead, slap me in the face).

Books like yours require a good deal of research, and I must congratulate you on coming here to find that out. It's a sign that you're going to become an author if you keep going on the path of self-discipline and incessant ulcers.

Books like "A Brief History of Time" can help you immensley in sci-fi.

However, google has usually been a great companion, especially when looking for information on planets and physics involving planets. I'm sorry I can't be too much of help, but Wikipedia might also be a good helper. Again, terribly sorry. People around here are like information databases waiting to be tapped - simply look at the responses you got.

Good luck! :D

TheGhost
April 22nd, 2006, 09:40 AM
Who's going to visit/live there? Humans? If so, why would humans want to deal with a planet with 3G and the obvious environmental differences? Not to mention the questions of where the food and water comes from. I suppose there must be some very good reason to go there.

Ghostie

Final07
April 23rd, 2006, 01:21 PM
Who's going to visit/live there? Humans? If so, why would humans want to deal with a planet with 3G and the obvious environmental differences? Not to mention the questions of where the food and water comes from. I suppose there must be some very good reason to go there.

Ghostie

Okay, I've come up with a reason why humans came to this planet, but I'm not sure they're good enough.

Before humans arrived on this planet technology was already high. It was nothing to go through the process called degravitation. Degravitation is when a human undergoes a series of surgeries that better equip the human to the gravity beyond those he/ she is used to.

Well anyway, this planet was unchartered, and was happened to be discovered by a group of refugees (there was a big genocide situation, and there were billions of refugees fleeing from their native planets). The refugees settled on the Oarne Mega-Continent, and slowly adapted to the planet. Others heard of this unchartered planet, where the murderous government couldn't find them, and decided to look for it. Only few found it, but in all, about 900 million people settled on this large planet and adapted to it.

Now I know there are holes in this, but once I do some research on human analogy and human evolution, I'm going to be able to perfect my idea of degravitation.

TheGhost
April 23rd, 2006, 02:09 PM
Degravitation? Is that something that's theoretically possible in the real world? I'd imagine 3G would affect just about every cell of a human body in nefarious ways -- bones, internal organs, blood circulation. And 900 million people are living there despite the environmental problems?

Also, what do 900 million people on a 3G planet eat and drink? Are there native plants that have adapted and prospered? Fresh water sources?

Some things to think about.

Ghostie