PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version of War of the Worlds – live!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Hobbit
April 20th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Well I’m a pretty happy bunny, having just got back from seeing this concert. For the first time in 28 years Jeff has put a concert together of his multimillion selling album first released in 1978. (Details here: http://www.thewaroftheworlds.com/default.aspx ). He is playing a select set of dates in the UK: ten in total, I think, and then after that, who knows?

The concert involves a 48 piece orchestra referred to as the ULLAdubULLA string orchestra, and a band with many members of the original recording (referred to as the Black Smoke Band) as well as the vocal talents of many in the original recording: Justin Hayward, Chris Thompson and, strangely, Richard Burton as The Journalist, despite Sir Richard being dead for about 22 years.

(The concert uses a three dimensional head suspended above the stage onto which is projected Richard Burton’s features; the voice is the recording used on the original recordings. This works surprisingly well – just hearing ‘No-one would have ever believed….’ bellowing across a stage made my skin prickle. The face blinks, lipsynchs and even winks at the audience. Very clever.)

The concert follows the album, almost word for word and sound for sound, with some interesting little changes along the way….

There is also a back screen with a lot of CGI, and (my favourite!) a forty foot high Martian Fighting Machine which lowers down onto the stage and then dominates the scene, flashing out heat rays and roars across the arena.

Flashing lights, explosions, surround sound…. it was an amazing concert unlike anything seen since Pink Floyd’s hey day.

The tour was a very rapid sellout; but if you can get hold of tickets, highly recommended. For me, the tickets were not cheap; but after waiting over 25 years to see the album ‘in action’, so to speak, I do feel it was money well spent.

Hobbit

funky_fantasist
May 12th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Hobbit - I am so jealous... gutted in fact!!! I didn't even know about this! How could I have missed it???? :(

I remember they did a version in Manchester a few years back - although it didn't sound as amazing as this one - and I couldn't go to that one either...

[Funky has BIG tantrum!]

If it tours again - I AM GOING - even if I'm dead - they can take my head in one of those jars like in Futurama!!! :eek:

Hobbit
May 12th, 2006, 12:04 PM
LOL. The tour has been very well received generally, Funky.

I understand it will be out on DVD as the Royal Albert Hall concert/s were recorded - just in time for Christmas. :D

Sadly at the moment there doesn't seem to be plans for a North American tour.

Though I did think the thought of transporting a Martian war machine on a boat across the ocean was amusing.

Hobbit

speedingslug
May 17th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Sounds good :cool: