PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek in '08

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

SusanRae
April 24th, 2006, 02:54 PM
At a panel on Star Trek I attended last year at the San Diego Comic-Con they predicted that the next Star Trek release would do something like going back to old characters and remaking their stories. They also said it wouldn't come out for some time. Although happening a little sooner than predicted, it is happening. Check it out:

'Star Trek' set for '08 revival (http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/21/leisure.startrek.reut/index.html)

ArthurFrayn
April 24th, 2006, 03:00 PM
JJ Abrams. He makes it a lot more promising a project than I would otherwise have imagined. But lets' see how he does on MI3;)

Leiali
April 28th, 2006, 08:15 AM
I am not sure how I feel about this. I prefer Next Gen to the originals so I do think that the end of the Next Gen films is something to mourn, despite Nemesis not being such a good film....And early Kirk and Spock? Whatever for? The Star Trek universe is vast, and I just thought...why not do another series focussing on the Academy, Grey's Anatomy style??

ArthurFrayn
April 28th, 2006, 08:45 AM
I agree.
Intially I thought they were going to do something like that, with a "Lower Decks" kind of take. Call it something like StarTrek: Starfleet Academy But instead they did McEnterprise with Cheese. Go figure. :rolleyes:
But maybe new blood will make everything clear again.
One can only hope.

But Kirk and Spock are their Mickey Mouse/Superman/Batman, so I understand why they're inclined to keep putting their chips back on them. So if it's academy and recruits, it's got to be done with Kirk and Spock.

As far as I'm concerned, I like all the treks except McEnterprise with Cheese -to my mind you could make great movies with any of them.
Whether they would be box office is another story. ;)

Leiali
April 28th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Um...Dimwit that I am, which one is McEnterprise with Cheese?

Janos
April 28th, 2006, 09:52 AM
I'm guessing he's referring to the high-quality acting on Enterprise.

You think they would have learned their lesson about doing a "retro" Star Trek series after Enterprise bombed.

I always wanted to see a Time-Traveling show. That's kind of the next step for Star Trek. They've got the ships and weapons mastered, I wanted to see them do a time-based series. Then they could do period specific episodes all the time. We could have seen flashes of the first ship, of Kirk's ship, and any other time period.

Oh well.

ArthurFrayn
April 28th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Yes I'm referring to Enterprise -the only show I can think of, in the history of me watching television, that I confess, I was truly glad to see go off the air. It's demise made me smile, like in my avatar.

I don't blame the actors necessarily (well apart from Scott Bakula)-it was a horribly written show. John Billingsley(Phlox) was very good, and Connor Trineer started to carry the show after Bakula gave up and went to sleep.