SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

kater
April 28th, 2006, 07:14 AM
http://www.sffworld.com/news/269.html

Is it me or is the name a little dumb? The connotations aren't exactly glorious either :)

Muess
April 28th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Preposterous! :mad:

cheese
April 28th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Its horrible. Imagine conversations while saying Wii. "Sorry I've got to go home and play my Wii", "Mom, Dad, can I get a Wii for christmas". It's going to get confused so much with the "we" we use. I thought Revolution was a decent name (better then 360 and ps3), supposedly this is the final name for Wii and it wont change.

Bond
April 29th, 2006, 04:12 AM
Oh no sounds like something got lost in translation. Maybe the Nintendo head honcho thought it sounded fun as in "whee!" and doesn't grasp it could be thought of disastrously in terms of a wee wee wee.

Nintendo has always seemed to be more fun and cutesy and willing to go for a less flashy image. I doubt "Gameboy" is something an advertising consultant would have suggested for example and I've respected them for having a sense of identity in contrast to the slicker but generally more generic image of their competitors. But if true this sounds like it is going to be a big mistake, something like the car that was called "Nova" in some Spanish speaking countries. No go! No go!

kater
April 29th, 2006, 03:46 PM
It is true and according to the fools who thought it up 'when you think about it for a while, the name will grow on you'. Needless to say Nintendo's European arm was not consulted on the title, instead having a small committee come up with it. More horrifying is that the 'i i' sound has no basis in the japanese language, the region where Nintendo does it's best business, so it's not exactly going to roll off their tongues. I'm still going to buy it though and call it Revolution :)

Monty Mike
April 30th, 2006, 05:42 AM
I'm still going to buy it though and call it Revolution :)
Yeah, I hear they're going to be selling it with a 'Revolution' stencil and some free spray-paint :p

On topic, I'm impartial to the name; the consel is all I care about. Saying that, however, the name is growing on me.

Ouroboros
April 30th, 2006, 06:04 AM
As Kater says, looks like someone forgot to ask the UK and Ireland reps for their input on this name change.

And now, I'm off for a wee (no, not the console)...

Hobbit
April 30th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Just to add..... yes, it seems that the European (or perhaps just the British Isles!) members are p*ssing themselves laughing about this one.

Or perhaps that comment wouldn't be appropriate. ;) :D

Mark / Hobbit

kahnovitch
April 30th, 2006, 07:56 AM
"Wii has a distinctive 'ii' spelling that symbolises both the unique controllers and the image of people gathering to play

Maybe I'm getting cynical, but it symbolises a load of pretentious wank to mii. :D

Hobbit
April 30th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Yes, but isn't there a lot of this out there?

Just think of all the board meetings, design meetings, image consultants etc etc that have taken place to come up with this!

If you're ever wondering where your computer money goes...... :)

But... Nintendo are not the only one.

The truth is out there... except it may have gone for a Wii! :D

Hobbit