PDA

View Full Version : Guild Wars: Factions

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

JamesL
May 1st, 2006, 05:30 AM
Oh yes, I've finally got my greasy mitts on this little gem.

I bought the pre-order version that allowed gamers to play the game a full day before the official release date, with a series of one-off quests and three unique items not available anywhere else. Nice.

The main version of the game (released on Friday 28th) so far has not disappointed. The environment is as stunning as ever (if not more so) and the background story and history are wonderfully deep and absorbing. The game plays more intuitively, and is more user-friendly for new players. The only problem I've seen so far is that there are far too many Assassins running around, which was pretty predictable as it is one of the new classes. Still, it's not like Arenanet could do anything about this.

I'll be sure to make a full review in a couple of weeks.

Hobbit
May 1st, 2006, 06:05 AM
Thanks James for this.

Due to pressure (along the lines of Dad.. Dad... Dad... Dad.... :) ) I've ordered the Collectors Edition.

Which is on it's way to me now.

How do you feel (or anyone else for that matter!) about the idea of a prerelease version? Is it an easy way of making more money or was it worthwhile?

You still have to buy the full game at the end, yes?

Hobbit

JamesL
May 1st, 2006, 12:39 PM
Thanks James for this.

Due to pressure (along the lines of Dad.. Dad... Dad... Dad.... :) ) I've ordered the Collectors Edition.

Which is on it's way to me now.

How do you feel (or anyone else for that matter!) about the idea of a prerelease version? Is it an easy way of making more money or was it worthwhile?

You still have to buy the full game at the end, yes?

Hobbit

The pre-release version is really something for the proper fans, who are sad enough (like me) to want unique items that are only available for one day. Was it worth it? Well, the pre-release was only a couple of quid so I would say so, yes. On the other hand, you didn't miss an awful lot if you didn't play it. Something for the fans really.

Yes you have to buy the full version afterwards. :rolleyes:

Hobbit
May 1st, 2006, 01:33 PM
It's an interesting sort of idea - sort of like a 'get-in-early' ticket.

I'm just interested whether people think it has an idea that has legs, or whether we will see more of it with other games.

Thanks James.

Hobbit

kater
May 1st, 2006, 04:19 PM
Depends on the uniqueness of the offer in question, I'm not sure things like special costumes for characters would have any longevity but possibly items such as new weapons, original maps, additional extras like a comic/novel telling the story (Halo has done a few of these things with their special editions) may prove popular. As you and James have noted it's still going to mean stumping up for the full game anyway, so it will depend on the popularity of the product in question and how obsessive the fans are :D Games with significant followings, again I'll point to Halo, can really diversify in terms of paraphernalia and other products - Halo novels, comic books, toys etc and so I'd imagine only a few franchises would be able to pull it off successfully.

JamesL
May 1st, 2006, 07:21 PM
Games with significant followings, again I'll point to Halo, can really diversify in terms of paraphernalia and other products - Halo novels, comic books, toys etc and so I'd imagine only a few franchises would be able to pull it off successfully.

I would agree. Guild Wars certainly falls into this category - 1 million copies of the first game were shifted worldwide. The pre-release version proved popular as far as I could see - there were hundreds of players enjoying it while I was online.

It is possible to argue that the whole idea of a pre-release copy is a gimmick aimed at maximising profits, but you can hardly accuse Arenanet of a cynical marketing ploy - Guild Wars is free to play (the only MMORPG that is free, as far as I'm aware) and so you are already getting value for money. A couple of quid ($4) isn't going to hurt, and on top of that it is entirely optional.