PDA

View Full Version : First draft- what next?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

pcarney
May 3rd, 2006, 01:20 PM
With the terrible speed of an octogenarian out on a Sunday drive, I'm approaching completion of a first draft of my novel. Its almost time to let that little bastard whoes been whispering "This stinks" in my ear out. My question- how do you personally go about working on the second draft? With work assignments, I always print it up, read it aloud, make my notes in pen, then do my re-writes. I'm not sure if this is the approach I want to take with a 200 page document.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Holbrook
May 3rd, 2006, 01:27 PM
With the terrible speed of an octogenarian out on a Sunday drive, I'm approaching completion of a first draft of my novel. Its almost time to let that little bastard whoes been whispering "This stinks" in my ear out. My question- how do you personally go about working on the second draft? With work assignments, I always print it up, read it aloud, make my notes in pen, then do my re-writes. I'm not sure if this is the approach I want to take with a 200 page document.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Seriously, put it aside for a week or two, then read it through. You can in the meantime send it to a few willing guinea pigs to read for their feedback on your first draft.

Once you have read it through edit it. Considering the comments from your Guinea pigs. Then set aside again. Then read and edit again. Then send out to another set of Guinea pigs. Then nitpick the grammar and typos. Then edit again. Set aside for at least two months and then go back to it and edit again.

Once you have gone through this process enough times consider its bum wiped and nose blown and send it out. Then when the rejections start coming in read it through and edit again ;)

MrBF1V3
May 3rd, 2006, 08:18 PM
I agree w/ Holbrook, take a breath, get out for a while, do something else.

When your ready I would suggest a paper copy, lots of pencils and pens, (BTW--it is bad form to use red ink---shudder), chocolate, and something soothing in the cd player. Then read it over and make notes, then rewrite, then read, make notes, then rewrite....

I tend to get what happens down in the first draft, then when I'm editing I add the "color". Add depth, add connections, sprinkle with irony. That's just me of course.

B5

tielserrath
May 4th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Take a deep breath and print it out. Forget about how much paper and ink cartridges cost. Don't make the type too small; 12 point is the minimum.

Use the back of each page for comments on the next, or writing new sections of prose.

Correct the manuscript itself in bright blue or green ink, that way you won't miss any corrections when you come to type up.

Transfer everything onto computer and print it out again, using a different font. For some bizarre reason this makes it easier to spot typos.

Join critters, or OWW, or find a competent reader to read, critique and shred any bits that are weak.

Repeat the above until you have a publishable manuscript.

And yes, it's hell. My manuscript currently runs to 600 single-spaced pages, and the editing is hard, hard work.:(