PDA

View Full Version : Sadness

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

BrianC
May 9th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Here's something completely unexpected. I'm coming really close to finishing the first draft of my first novel--only five chapters to go, with two substantially written already and the other three outlined down to the paragraph level. I've been pushing hard lately, and I can see finishing by the end of this month.

I'm working harder, more disciplined and with better focus and purpose than ever before. I feel that my writing has become much better, both structurally and artistically, over the 3+ year course of this project.

Though I'm still working at it every spare moment, lately I've been feeling something completely unexpected. Sadness. The closer I get to finishing, I'm becoming sad--not in a blubbery sense, but more nostalgic. This thing, this beast, has been a part of my life for a long time. Now that I can see the end of it, it's like I don't want it to end.

I know, I know I've got lots of revision to do, and probably lots of rejection letters to endure; but is it weird that I feel a little sad at the thought of writing that last word?

Rhiannon
May 9th, 2006, 01:33 PM
No, that's not at all weird. I'm sure most writers feel like that when they near the end of a novel. I know I had the same experience when I finished my first novel. I get a similar (though muted) feeling at the end of each rewritten draft I do of it too. It is definitely the end of a journey, and first drafts, for me anyway, involve a huge emotional investment. But, yes, you do have revising and editing and all that to look forward to, though those aren't quite the same.

pcarney
May 10th, 2006, 07:20 AM
I'm sorta in the same spot with my WIP, but I have to say that I'm feeling nothing but elation- as in, "My God, am I actually going to finish something?!"
The way I see it, this is just the beginning. My inner weasel has been chattering about how awful this story is, and pretty soon I'll have to let it out....

KatG
May 10th, 2006, 09:24 AM
No, no, you never let the Inner Weasel out, PC. You let the Editor Hat out to work on revisions, but the Inner Weasel must be continually sat upon.

Brian -- you're only completing the first draft, dude. You have way more work to do. Nostalgia is coming too early. And besides, remember, you can always write a sequel, so you can visit the characters again. :)

James Barclay
May 10th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Take it as a positive, BrianC... if you're feeling sad becaue you're about to say good-bye to characters, that's a pretty good indication that you've invested emotionally in them to a level that your readers will feel and appreciate.

Kat is right, it is only draft one so there is much more involvement to come. Even so, my sadness and saying good-bye to characters in The Raven was at its keenest when those scenes were first drafted.

Shed a tear for them... be proud of them and the effect they had (and still have) on you.

NOM

BrianC
May 10th, 2006, 11:57 AM
No, no, you never let the Inner Weasel out, PC. You let the Editor Hat out to work on revisions, but the Inner Weasel must be continually sat upon.

Brian -- you're only completing the first draft, dude. You have way more work to do. Nostalgia is coming too early. And besides, remember, you can always write a sequel, so you can visit the characters again. :)Well now you're making me smile, because by the end all but one of the major characters are getting killed off, so I'd have to dig up a lot of graves to write a sequel!

Dazzlinkat
May 10th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Who ever said death is the end? You never know what spook is behind a corner :p